Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Travel Kit

Travel kits, as well as other special order parts are rarely a good idea. If you are buying the travel kit as a reproduction ask why you want it. If you just do and you don't care about price then go for it. If you
    are doing it to show the car then a reproduction will only help at the neighborhood show. If you take it to a concours and do not have an original you may as well leave it in your garage. There was a time when collecting unique and special order parts made sense. In todays world of $50,000 Rudge wheels for a 300SL and $25,000 luggage for 1,200 unit production Ferraris they are at best a breakeven.
    With that, it you just like the look of a reproduction chrome luggage rack then go for it. Just don't look at it as an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    In my opinion, finding an original travel kit bag, even if partially missing is very important as I haven't seen any reproduction travel kit bags that look very good at all. The particular contents of any travel bag can probably be eventually found as they are regular maintenance items... the "bag" is the hard part.

Regards,
    Eric

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Tough thing to find is the maroon vinyl fuse pouch. Nobody seems to be reproducing any more.
    Last edited by doigthom; 08-29-2019 at 05:01 AM.

As long as we're getting into esoterica here I've got a few questions for the experienced. Is the fuel pump kit for early 911s with Solex carbs the same as the one for late 356s with Solex carbs or is the kit different since these are dual pumps? When did the spark plugs connectors change from the long straight ones to ones with the L connector at the top? Finally, did the early 911 travel kits come with the PORSCHE shop towel with the blue lines and if so when were these phased out?

Thanks,
    Steve

Name:  P8282249.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  139.9 KB

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Unterman View Post
    As long as we're getting into esoterica here I've got a few questions for the experienced. Is the fuel pump kit for early 911s with Solex carbs the same as the one for late 356s with Solex carbs or is the kit different since these are dual pumps? When did the spark plugs connectors change from the long straight ones to ones with the L connector at the top? Finally, did the early 911 travel kits come with the PORSCHE shop towel with the blue lines and if so when were these phased out?

Thanks,
    Steve

My understanding is the diaphragms are the same but the metal bit in the diaphragm which attaches the diaphragm to the mechanism is different.

Ed Fall at Vintage Werks LLC says he can take the hardware from an existing tandem pump and fasten it to late 356/912 fuel pump diaphragms in order to overhaul a tandem pump. I think last I asked Ed he said it was between $100 and $200 to rebuild a pump. Some day I have to take him up on it.

The pumps are being reproduced for $1,741.91, $1,645.00, or $1,410.74 so the diaphragms must exist, somewhere. You could beg Stoddard.

Road & Race has a used pump for sale for a mere $999.99. You could mount that on your car (if you're willing to fight with its bottom bolt) and send a pump to Ed Fall.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 08-28-2019 at 10:06 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

The blue lines first appeared in the 356A era. Phased out in the T5/T6 I'm assuming.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

MFI Travel Kit

The sticker on the plastic bag shows part number 901 721 xx04 TASCHEN
    I bought this to put in the helmet boxes of a Hot Rod but it has been sitting in the spares box instead.
    Looks to be reasonably complete but I know nothing about Travel Kits.
    Maybe Eric, Steve, Karim and others would provide comments.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Looks like an interesting kit. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what year car this would go with. One question - I was under the impression that the gaskets always came in a flat brown cardboard box. Is that not necessarily the case? Hope you get some interesting responses.

Steve

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flunder View Post
    The sticker on the plastic bag shows part number 901 721 xx04 TASCHEN
    I bought this to put in the helmet boxes of a Hot Rod but it has been sitting in the spares box instead.
    Looks to be reasonably complete but I know nothing about Travel Kits.
    Maybe Eric, Steve, Karim and others would provide comments.
    Thanks!
    There's no travel kit part number in my SWB parts catalog which could match 901.721.xxx.04. The parts numbers it shows are:
    • 901.721.901.02 for 911 up to Program A (Solex Carburetors)
    • 901.721.901.08 for 911 up to Program A (Weber Carburetors)
    • 901.721.903.02 for 911 S up to Program A
    • 901.721.905.00 for 911 TU from Program A, Marelli ignition
    • 901.721.906.00 for 911 L from Program A
    • 901.721.907.00 for 911 S from Program A
    • 901.721.908.00 for 911 USA from Program A
    • 901.721.909.00 for 911 TU from Program A, Bosch ignition

Maybe somebody with the next [hardcopy] 911 parts catalog in the series can find a match.

A few things that might help narrow it down:
    • That looks like a set of Bosch breaker points
    • I don't see any carburetor gaskets. MFI? EFI?
    • I think 12 stud exhaust valve covers came in 1970. How many holes are in your exhaust valve cover gaskets?

Clutch cables changed several times. See
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet