Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on clutch for 71 with a 2.7?

Advice on clutch for 71 with a 2.7?

Hey all - I'm building a motor for my car. Right now it has a 2.7, basic setup with carbs. Trans is a 911/01. Trans has been rebuilt and has a billet center bearing carrier. I don't launch 1st car. It will get an LSD + reinforced side cover too.

So I'm curious on clutch. if I understand, these use a 225mm clutch different than the 901. What I want is a clutch that could take an RS spec+ power, but not be heavy, or 'hair trigger'.

Looking at options to clutch, PP, flywheel, etc.

Thanks

IMO don't use a Sachs sport pressure plate . The '70 , '71 push style release fork and cable are not up for the sport PP .

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    IMO don't use a Sachs sport pressure plate . The '70 , '71 push style release fork and cable are not up for the sport PP .
    Yeah this is the sort of info i'm curious on, if stock is "OK" or what can I do to ensure I have adequate gripping. The clutch in there now I ease into it, it doesn't slip under load. It did when i first got it and needed adjustment. Which its nearly out of.

Anyone else?

The stock 71 clutch is more than capable of handling the power from a 2.7.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    The stock 71 clutch is more than capable of handling the power from a 2.7.

Jim
    Sufficient for ~250hp(knock on wood)? This will be a pretty hot 2.8 build.

Thanks

What about the transaxle itself ? 250 HP may be too much . A stock '77 2.7 has 160 DIN HP .

Quote Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
    Sufficient for ~250hp(knock on wood)? This will be a pretty hot 2.8 build.

Thanks
    Yes. It's certainly no weaker than a 2.7 clutch.

Jim

What about the transaxle itself ? 250 HP may be too much . A stock '77 2.7 has 160 DIN HP .
    Well i don’t plan to clutch drop first. Trans is fresh and has billed middle bearing carrier. Will be adding an lsd and billed side plate.

Jim
    Ok so suggestion is keep it stockish. I may go with a lighter pp and flywheel setup.

I don’t want over aggressive clamping force trashing the 71 style fork system but don’t want it slipping either...

Well i don’t plan to clutch drop first. Trans is fresh and has billet middle bearing carrier. Will be adding an lsd and billed side plate.

Jim
    Ok so suggestion is keep it stockish. I may go with a lighter pp and flywheel setup.

I don’t want over aggressive clamping force trashing the 71 style fork system but don’t want it slipping either...
    Last edited by Spyerx; 09-04-2019 at 08:43 PM.