Thread: Cost to Redo Dash, Headliner & Carpets 1970 911E

Cost to Redo Dash, Headliner & Carpets 1970 911E

Hi all- I'm new here and am looking to purchase my first classic car. I've got a question for the collective wisdom of the group. I'm looking at a 1970 911E that's going to need a new Dash (old one is cracked), Headliner (shabby) & Carpets...I'm trying to get a feel for cost to do this work (both materials and labor if I send it to a shop). Any and all insight is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Welcome.

Depends what standard you are trying to achieve. Material costs for the headliner and carpets can vary from $500 in total (RS style Perlon) to north of $2000 for correct material, hole patterns etc. A new dash is at least $1500 and a used one even more these days. If you can find one that isn't cracked. If you just patch the cracks, it will be negligible material cost but some amount of labour. If you have to remove the dash, then the windshield comes out and you need a new seal. Recovering, which rarely looks right, also isn't a cheap option. Carpets take a day to install, and a headliner about the same to do right (you have to pull a lot of stuff out to do this stuff). So take your favourite shop's labour rate and multiply by at least 20 hours just for those and then the dash is another day depending on what you have done and if it is done at the same time you do the other stuff.

So highly variable is the answer. Do it yourself at a driver quality and it could be a bit under a grand. Have a shop do it to a high standard and you could be looking at five grand. YMMV

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Just to add to this, there isn't a really decent replacement dash out there these days since Lakewood/Carpoint stopped producing there last version. Porsche sells one but looks nothing like the original.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Since you are looking, keep in mind that if the interior is shabby, the mechanicals are likely similar and that is where the real expenses mount up. Make sure you get a pre- purchase inspection if you can before you buy. That will give you an idea of what you are getting. Very few bargains out there.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Thank you to all for sharing your knowledge. This is very helpful.