Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original key set 911 1973

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    My recollection of "valet keys" in general (never had a Porsche with one--did have a Mercedes) is that they open the doors and operate the ignition so a parking valet can operate your car but they do not open the glove box or trunk so there's some safety for anything locked in there.

Of course most Porsche coupes didn't have a lock for the front deck lid release.

Older cars had separate glovebox (and front decklid) keys.

------------

By the way, you can get Bosch, Hirschmann, and Beru antenna keys from Woody's Custom Shop. Woody's Bosch keys are a slightly different style.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 08-25-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    As mentioned in a previous post - buy the keys from Porsche. Other repro keys have been modelled off the black master and have just changed the color to red!
    I remember back in the early 80s in UK when you could not even get a blank from Porsche as they were concerned about theft. So you would send them your chassis number and a a copy of your ownership papers, they would verify and they would send you a duplicate key, already perfectly cut, which arrived in the mail in a beautifully crafted thin card sleeve. Fit and worked perfectly!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

thanks guys! Correct part numbers are 914.531.903.10 (black) and 914.531.903.11 (red)?
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

no locking lug nut keys in 73 but if a factory installed radio antenna kit, an antenna pull key. The keys are 91453190310 and 91453190311 readily available at any aftermarket porsche parts place or to be ordered by your friendly local porsche dealer

Thanks again. Other question: ignition / steering lock has the original white sticker with red written number on it; Does that help with the key cutting? Originally one could call Porsche, but I don't think they have those records anymore.. :-)
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

May I step in with a question concerning the reproducibility of the red key?
    My key set only consists of a black key - no red one came with the car.
    Since I want to buy spare keys to complete the set I was wondering whether their is a way for a locksmith to produce a red key - one without the ability to open the glovebox?
    Thanks for your help!

My understanding is that IF you have the red blank (from Porsche) and the code for the key (also can be obtained from Porsche so long as you can prove ownership) a locksmih can cut the key blank using the cose and it will work as originally intended - at least it did for me when i did it about 15 to 20 years ago
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    If the black key works everything, ignition, doors, glovebox and trunk lock if u have one, buy a red key and copy the cut from the black key. Be aware a lot of ignition locks, door locks have been changed so key codes may not work. It is the key blank that is different not the cut code.

just wanted to finalize on my posting: I have sent the handwritten code (on ignition/steering lock) to the locksmith, he cut the key and all locks work. So, no locks were re-keyed.
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176