Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1971 Headliner

1971 Headliner

I’ve researched almost all the posts on this topic
    Last edited by Simonjjb; 10-14-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

That looks to be an original with the hex hole pattern. No one, including Porsche, ever made a reproduction with the hex pattern. Andrea did, but in ivory and his material is thicker. Plus his is much more recent. Yours looks decades old.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    When I restored my 73 back in 86 I put in a black headliner from the aftermarket with the hex pattern, things were different then.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    That looks to be an original with the hex hole pattern. No one, including Porsche, ever made a reproduction with the hex pattern. Andrea did, but in ivory and his material is thicker. Plus his is much more recent. Yours looks decades old.
    There's another shop in the U.K. also doing it. I have samples of their material somewhere. I'll dig up their name when I'm back home.

https://www.southboundtrimmers.com/

I ordered samples and they did indeed have a hex pattern. I ended up ordering from Andrea. Can't remember why I didn't choose to order from Southbound. I'll look around and see if I still have the samples.

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    When I restored my 73 back in 86 I put in a black headliner from the aftermarket with the hex pattern, things were different then.
    I have 2 NOS Porsche headliners with late 80's date codes and both have the correct hex pattern. One in ivory and one in brown. I treat them like gold.

I have T built in 10/70. Unrestored. Non-karmann.
    It had an ivory fabric in hex.
    I tore it, so I renewed it, in ivory, I still have old one.
    My visors are cream/black. But the black shows when visor is down.
    I think someone put a black liner in your car to update it, and switched your visors, right to left.
    Do you know the history? Did the PO do other updates?

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Sorry, should have said OEM, not original. Makes a difference in this context. Sometime around 1990 Porsche switched to the square pattern and that’s all they made after that. Although NOS was available for years after that. Even saw some here in the classifieds as recently as 5 years ago. Not sure I’d want to use something that had been folded for 30 years, but that’s neither here nor there.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    I have T built in 10/70. Unrestored. Non-karmann.
    It had an ivory fabric in hex.
    I tore it, so I renewed it, in ivory, I still have old one.
    My visors are cream/black. But the black shows when visor is down.
    I think someone put a black liner in your car to update it, and switched your visors, right to left.
    Do you know the history? Did the PO do other updates?
    I don't have much history, but when we removed the old one it sure looked really old and original - but who knows?
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Just a heads up if you order from Andres. I ordered a headliner from him in may and I never received it. Andres stated that it was returned once undeliverable and lost the second time but he would never provide a tracking number.