Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of original 911S brakes to sell

Value of original 911S brakes to sell

I have a Porsche original set of hubs, rotors, spindles, calipers(Ate), and front shocks (green color) off a '73 911S. These are original Porsche parts in excellent condition.
    I've had these for a long time and don't have a feel for their market value as a set.
    I want to list them in the classified section, and don't know where to start.
    Any opinions?
    Thanks,
    Reed

Interesting join date of 2005 and 2 posts?
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Interesting join date of 2005 and 2 posts?
    Well, I was always a 356 guy in my youth...I'm 67 now and grew up (not literally) with names like Ron Roland, Harry Pellow, Vic Skirmants, Mike Robbins, etc.
    I just figured that since I've had these S brakes in my basement for 20+ years, this was a good place to get opinion(s) of their value.
    Reed

The value is in the aluminum front calipers, and front struts. Condition is important. If parts are excellent condition $750-1500. Market is not pistol hot right now.

Since it is from a 73 911S, your description indicates a set of Bilstein struts with aluminum S calipers. Depending on condition, I would guess from $1500 on up. Photos would certainly help. The S calipers would almost certainly need restoration. I think that only the NOS calipers I have would have good pistons, every other set I have had the pistons were bad. Also, the calipers corrode, so initial condition is very important.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Since it is from a 73 911S, your description indicates a set of Bilstein struts with aluminum S calipers. Depending on condition, I would guess from $1500 on up. Photos would certainly help. The S calipers would almost certainly need restoration. I think that only the NOS calipers I have would have good pistons, every other set I have had the pistons were bad. Also, the calipers corrode, so initial condition is very important.

Photos of the parts are attached:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Front strut housings are black, have they been painted? Bilstein would be green. Read the manufactures stampings on the housing. Might say Boge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    Front strut housings are black, have they been painted? Bilstein would be green. Read the manufactures stampings on the housing. Might say Boge.
    Yes, the stampings on the black struts are Boge, Part #'s 911.341.044.02 and 911.341.043.02
    I can see a trace of red primer on a scratch. So, yes, they could have been painted if they were originally green

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler View Post
    Yes, the stampings on the black struts are Boge, Part #'s 911.341.044.02 and 911.341.043.02
    I can see a trace of red primer on a scratch. So, yes, they could have been painted if they were originally green
    Those are struts and hubs from a much later car. Probably an 85 or 86 with earlier S calipers and rotors. A very desirable package but not "period correct" for a 73.

Regards

Jim

Do the struts have the roll pin ( Bilstein only) at the bottom of the strut, near the ball joint mount bolt hole....cliff
    I just bought a 1978 set of Bilstein front struts ,sans backing plates,rotors,hubs and calipers. They are early 1980’s take-offs from an excellent seller on eBay. Just got them today and they are pristine. I have the nos calipers, will need the other stuff eventually.
    Last edited by Cliff; 09-04-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.