Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Restoration of 1972 2.4 S Targa c/n 9112310827

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    This picture from Peter Morgan's book "Original 911" shows the steering wheel and door panel style that you are looking for. (Pictured is a 2.2 but the interior is mostly the same.)

By the way, if what you listed is all that you have to do... this is a great car! How's the paintwork, chassis, motor, trunk, etc?
    Hi Frederik - thank you for the 2.2 Picture. That's what I'm going for! So the car needs a full restoration. Paintwork is out-of-period blue with some corrosion, chassis is straight and clean, motor is leaking badly and needs the case split and perhaps a return to MFI from the 40 IDA's, trunk needs new carpet but metal is descent and the smuggler's box VIN is perfect. I'm starting here with the details; I need to learn those and collect the parts. But this is going to be a big thread when we get into the guts! Thank you for you interest in the car and thank you for the period photo. All the best, David
    Last edited by deichenb; 09-09-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    1972 S Targa 0827
    Registry Membership #3870

If you are replacing the door panels then save some of the vinyl for your correct radio faceplate it should match the rest of the dash material.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

It looks from the pictures that you have period correct factory sport seats that are a great, rare, valuable, factory option, that are also very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by savagejayj View Post
    It looks from the pictures that you have period correct factory sport seats that are a great, rare, valuable, factory option, that are also very expensive.
    Yes! Thank you for noticing. I am also hoping that they are on the PPS (the "new" CoA without engine/trans numbers). I'm going to keep them in the car wither way. They are absolutely among the most comfortable vintage seats I've tried, but I also hope they are also correct for the car.

The entire interior will be recovered in correct matching material. The front sport seats and rears have different material on them now.
    1972 S Targa 0827

1970 option codes for antennas are:
    M 440: Retractable antenna left, loudspeaker and noise suppression
    M 441: Power antenna right, loudspeaker and noise supression.
    Factory installed antennas should show up, but some antennas were dealer installed and will not show up on the COA.

Best Nick

Quote Originally Posted by deichenb View Post
    Hi Nick, I did notice that the antenna was mounted opposite of where I'd expect it. My PPS is processing now per Porsche so I'll know the original spec of the car soon. When we disassemble the car I will certainly let you know if it's a power antenna and I'll photograph it if that's what we've got. That would be a neat find. I wonder if a power antenna was a stand-alone option that would show on the PPS? All the best, David

The PPS (new CoA) for the car came in and I had some great news on it: The car was originally delivered Jade over Sport Seats with Corduroy Inserts, plus it has a few more great options. I like this even better than Tangerine - I am very much looking forward to going back to this combination! The PPS also leads me to a few questions:

The car came with an manual antenna and "loudspeakers" but no radio specified.
    (1) I think I should reposition the antenna to the left fender from the right fender? Did the OEM manual antenna always come mounted on the left side? It seems that way, per the specifics on the PPS and in this thread.
    (2) What is the correct manual antenna? I want to make sure I have that, and that I can re-use the antenna that is currently installed in the right fender.
    (3) There is no radio specified in the PPS. Can I install a Franfkfurt? Do you have a source for one?
    (4) What were the brand of the "loudspeakers" and does anyone have good photos of OEM speaker grills and positioning?
    (5) What is your preferred source for the OEM fabric for the corduroy inserts?
    (6) I cannot figure out exactly what the "Apron for Rear Bumper" option is. Please help!

Thanks again in advance, David
    Name:  IMG_7311.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  73.7 KB
    1972 S Targa 0827

Apron will be the rear muffler skirt option I believe
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Jade is a rare color. Would be cool to see it brought back to that hue
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Name:  IMG_2208-2.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  42.1 KBThat's a very rare color, Bert found a car in that color(pictured) and apron is the muffler skirt.

Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6