Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 288

Thread: A Proposal to Establish Member Control of the ESR

  1. #211
    Senior Member Simonjjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by jaudette3 View Post
    I had a lengthy conversation with Chuck yesterday. He appeared to me to be open and candid but I can’t provide any detail because he requested that the conversation remain private. As you know, my recommendation at this point is to slow down and meet in person. I mentioned that to him and he agreed to think about it. I will say that the conversation affected my point of view.

    I originally supported JP’s simple seven point plan. As someone here said it would take an afternoon to put things together. Of course that’s in a perfect world and things are obviously not progressing smoothly for reasons I cited in an earlier post—silence on the part of the ESR and friction between members on the forum. As well as being distasteful, the friction has served to raise the temperature and accelerate the efforts and intensity to bring about change.

    I agree with those who suggest it’s time to take a deep breath or two and let the boil subside a bit. And then get together face to face. There’s too much win-lose these days and I prefer not to be involved in one. But I do believe there is a win-win here if executed properly by everyone involved.
    Thanks John. You say that you originally supported it. Are you saying you no longer support it? How has your point of view changed? Just a timing issue? or fundamentally?
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1974 914 2.0 - Yellow
    1997 993 C4S Coupe - Silver

  2. #212
    Senior Member Simonjjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    537
    Agreed we should cool off for a few days. I am however, still left with a nagging thought that the Board still won't respond.
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1974 914 2.0 - Yellow
    1997 993 C4S Coupe - Silver

  3. #213
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    4,451
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post

    9. Our former CEO, Jorge Perez, has personally told me that I "would not believe" the disorganization and lack of record keeping he encountered when he first joined the board. To the extent that, literally, we did not know how many paying members we had.
    This is very troubling and no doubt is the biggest hurdle to get over. Ego's are involved and no one wants to air out dirty laundry in public. My guess is it was only made public because of no response from the board when private contact was made. It would be nice to hear from the board to either defend the above comment or admit that they do need some help and move forward for a better and sound ESR.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2012 991 Platinum Silver
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver

    No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

  4. #214
    member #1515
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    3,752
    Is this so difficult?

    PCA Longhorn Region Members,

    Per the bylaws of the Longhorn Region PCA and on behalf of the 2020 Nominating Committee, I hereby call for nominations to the Board of Directors for 2020.

    During the next few weeks, the Nominating Committee, consisting of myself, Michael Mullen and Jon Parkoff, will compile a slate of nominees for election in October. The committee will conduct elections, tally votes, and report election results to the Board of Directors. All region members in good standing are entitled to one vote for each open position. During the election, members can select from the slate of nominees, or write in the name of a member of their choice.

    The following offices are open for nominations for a 1-year term:

    - President
    - Vice President
    - Secretary
    - Treasurer

    A description of officer duties is attached.

    Nominations should be made by email to kelner@lettonhall.com, and should include the following information:

    - Name
    - Contact Information (email address, phone, mailing address)
    - Desired Office
    - Brief statement of interest and summary of skills/experience that apply to the position

    A member may nominate his/herself. Nominations are open until September 30, 2019. Elections will be conducted in October, 2019.

    If you have questions about officer duties or the election process, please contact me via email or by phone (210-875-6277).

    Eric Kelner, P.E.
    Chair – 2020 Nominating Committee
    David

    '73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

  5. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    My guess is it was only made public because of no response from the board when private contact was made.
    To clarify Mike's point, Jorge did not ask me for confidentiality in any way and, if he had, as others have, I would have honored it. Again, I respect our current leadership who I believe have done as much as they can with limited help.

    If everyone wants to take a few days off to allow Chuck and Mike some more time to respond, I'm fine with that. Everyone enjoy your week. Hope to see some of you at Rare Shades 4 this Saturday.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 09-11-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    Member # 2530
    The early ones...
    1965 911 (301100), 1965 911 (301331), 1967 912/6, 1968 912 Soft Window Targa, 1969 911S Soft Window Targa, 1969 912 Coupe, 1969 912 Sunroof Coupe, 1970 911T Sunroof Coupe, 1972 911T Coupe, 1973 911S Targa

  6. #216
    Luft gekuhlt Bummler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Valley...
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    I'm not hostile towards you I just have a hard time watching a train wreck. You want change, great. But your delivery is really really bad, it leaves anyone in authority super defensive. Did you think that maybe the board is meeting this weekend to discuss this and come up with a plan? That assumption has just as much merit as assuming they hired a lawyer and we're paying for it. It would make sense that they might meet on a weekend, because this club isn't their full time job, I don't know what Chuck does but I'm pretty sure Jorge has a business to run on a Wed afternoon when you're demanding answers. Seriously, chill out, don't post ANYTHING for a week about this, you might be surprised how giving everyone some breathing room can have a positive effect. Turning a ship around doesn't happen overnight, nor does changing a club, but it can happen, but normally not when people are under pressure, and you're applying maximum pressure.
    It's like the Scout Master of my kid's Cub Scout troop, if I email him with a concern or question, it sometimes takes him a couple of days to get back to me, because no matter how committed he is to his volunteer job of scouting, he has a job, and a family, and a life outside of all of it.

    ---Adam
    Bravo Adam...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5


    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

  7. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    This is very troubling and no doubt is the biggest hurdle to get over. Ego's are involved and no one wants to air out dirty laundry in public. My guess is it was only made public because of no response from the board when private contact was made. It would be nice to hear from the board to either defend the above comment or admit that they do need some help and move forward for a better and sound ESR.
    That's assuming they want to give up control/ownership.

    I still have not heard any compelling reason as to what people would do differently other than pardon people that got banned before?
    The early S’s...

    1967 S Coupe
    1970 S Targa
    1973 RS Coupe (an honorary S?)

  8. #218
    Senior Member The chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    123
    @rower...Yep, that's the only reason for the effort to seize control. There's a good reason for banning guys who go against forum policy by belittling and badgering others. The civility rule boosts membership. More people would post more often if they weren't afraid of being made to look like an idiot. Live from new York, it's appears to me like you're doing your best to f' up a good thing.
    Good post Adam

  9. #219
    member #1515
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    3,752
    The question about what needs fixing has been answered:


    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Again, this is not "my" action. The proposal was submitted on behalf of over 20 members. I'm only one of them.

    And, also again, the proposal says nothing about Frank. To me, the proposal stands on its own and needs no further clarification in regard to Mr Beck who is not named. Perhaps ask one of the other supporters for their opinion? To me, the details of how we perform the proposed outreach is a matter for the new board.

    No Offense but the question of what needs to be fixed has been answered.



    Off the top of my head - only because you asked - and with respect to the current leadership who I believe have done as much as they can with limited help, the issues are many.

    1. We have a corporate structure that denies voting rights to our members and that has put our IRS tax exempt status at risk. We clearly need participation at a board level that has corporate and/or non-profit governance experience.

    2. Esses, our club magazine, has been delayed multiple times. Last year, one of our issues had to be skipped and 2 issues were "combined" into one because of a lack of human resources:

    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=esses+apology

    3. The registry of our cars, our very namesake, and a promised benefit of paid membership, has not been sent out in years.

    4. Much of our legal work appears to have been done by Legal Zoom and contains errors. Earlier this year, we nearly lost our tax-exempt status when we failed to file required documents with the California Attorney General.

    5. We are technically challenged. Our forums are outdated and misconfigured resulting in reduced traffic from Google and a terrible experience for many first time visitors. As an example, this is just one page visitors from Google are exposed to when searching “early 911S MFI problems”:

    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...3-MFI-Problems

    Issues like this result in dramatically lower user engagement, a higher bounce rate, and less opportunities for the ESR.

    In addition, although the majority of Internet traffic in 2019 is from mobile devices, our forums are not configured for a mobile experience. As an Internet technology CEO, I can assure you this is, by far, our biggest obstacle regarding growth and new members. As an aside, I have offered to help with this multiple times. I’ve even offered to pay the nominal costs.

    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=1#post1022191

    6. As primarily an online resource, it is imperative that we protect our brand and our members with specific social media and domain policies. We have none - an issue I have discussed previously with Chuck and offered my help. All it would have taken is for someone to register the domain early911sregistry.com to put our forums at risk of losing a significant percentage of our traffic. Fortunately, that domain was registered by a friend of the organization to prevent that from happening.

    7. The merchandise store, which should be a valuable source of revenue, as well as a branding opportunity, is outdated and an underutilized asset. In addition, many members have questions about the accounting of the revenue from those sales.

    8. We constantly hear about the huge effort being put forth by only three individuals. Yet many members who have volunteered to help, including myself, have been ignored.

    9. Our former CEO, Jorge Perez, has personally told me that I "would not believe" the disorganization and lack of record keeping he encountered when he first joined the board. To the extent that, literally, we did not know how many paying members we had.

    The answer to all of this is simple: Chuck and Michael need help. And there is no better way to get them the help they need than by engaging our member base and encouraging both activity and accountability from the board level on down. This is non-profit 101. Nothing spurs volunteerism like having a hand on the wheel and non-profits the world over nearly universally subscribe to this mantra. Our needs are varied but so is our member base: technology, legal, publishing, fundraising, accounting, marketing, and on and on. I'd wager that we have experts in each of these fields at our fingertips. If now is not the time to engage them and begin developing the next generation of leadership for the ESR, then when is the right time?



    It affects me because I believe that laws are important and that we all have a responsibility to play by the rules. I will not apologize for the value I place on the ethics I hold close. Furthermore, and I as discussed earlier, our IRS non-compliance is a tax and legal liability that puts this organization at risk.



    As I stated previously and clearly, my concerns regarding the structure of the ESR predate Frank's suspension by many months. My first conversation with the attorney I hired occurred on June 24th, more than two months before Frank was banned. The timing is nothing more than a coincidence.

    And finally, for the third time today, I have made no such overtures regarding the running of the ESR or my involvement. I would no more support my "running" the ESR than I support the current leadership "running" it. I continue to advocate for member control by way of our votes. This is an organization we should all be running.
    David

    '73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

  10. #220
    member #1515
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    3,752
    [QUOTE=rower;1030712]That's assuming they want to give up control/ownership.

    Good question, why did they make it a non profit organization? Nobody could complain if it was private. I assume that is how it was founded.
    David

    '73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Message Board Disclaimer
This is a public forum. Messages posted here can be viewed by the public. The Early 911S Registry is not responsible for messages posted in its online forums, and any message will express the views of the author and not the Early 911S Registry. Use of online forums shall constitute the agreement of the user not to post anything of religious or political content, false and defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise to violate the law and the further agreement of the user to be solely responsible for and hold the Early 911S Registry harmless in the event of any claim based on their message. Any viewer who finds a message objectionable should contact us immediately by email. The Early 911S Registry has the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.