Thread: A Proposal to Establish Member Control of the ESR

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    I think it's an opportunity.
    No doubt........
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"
    18 Panamera T S T

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    This is somewhat sad.....
    I agree, and said so 13 pages and almost two weeks ago on the "Frank Beck" thread.

A similar thread from Raj many years ago, flushed by the admins when he departed, tried to gather transparency in a similar way.

I remember chiming in as a curious but appreciative "member" given the feeling of wanting to understand how decisions were made, perhaps contributing in a positive way to making the place better. I'm past that desire and deeper curiosity, early 911-less and loaded up on non-profit board participation myself.

I have had the strangest things moderated out of my posts over the years and have just come to accept it.

A long time ago, I saved off this link that had some vague details on the ESR tax filings, just trying to get a handle on how the place looked financially.
    https://www.irsexempt.com/464516677

I still don't get the lack of transparency as an MO.

The challenge we all have now is conflating desire for change with admonition of current Board. I think these are separate topics. People rushing to the defense of current state shouldn't feel like they have to defend it. If we had elections, those who wanted to voice their concerns or support current efforts could do so.

Now it has a slight circling the drain feel to it all.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Assuming you're referring to Frank Beck (and I, for one, hope the nickname sticks), this point is by no means aimed exclusively at him, although he would certainly be eligible.

Over the last several years, we've lost several valuable members over disagreements with the way the ESR is run. This week, I've had the pleasure of speaking with many of our most senior members and, without question, the topic that came up the most was this exodus of irreplaceable knowledge and experience. Speaking for myself, I believe that each of those individuals is an asset worth recovering and, under a new leadership structure, they should be invited to return. Of course, this would ultimately be up to a board that was elected by our members. A board that, ideally, would represent our interests and values as a whole.
    yes jp it was was of his many pseudonym that he gave himself, remember the "bully" post? after that his pseudonym was "I am a bully"
    registry #2072

I didn't join this forum for this bs.
    No support for this proposal from me,
    Was happy with how it ran over the last eight years I have been here as a financial member.
    Nothing is perfect, if it's not broken don't fix it.
    S Registry#2021

With his approval, I just added Mark Dowden's name to the members supporting this proposal. Other members who wish to add their name and share their support publicly can message me and I'll be happy to add them as well.
    Member # 2530
    The early ones...
    1965 911 (301100), 1965 911 (301331), 1967 912/6, 1968 912 Soft Window Targa, 1969 911S Soft Window Targa, 1969 912 Coupe, 1969 912 Sunroof Coupe, 1970 911T Sunroof Coupe, 1972 911T Coupe, 1973 911S Targa

Quote Originally Posted by jim amato View Post
    Looks like #7 is to get the village idiot back in, all this bs looks like the beginning of the end.
    We hope it’s the beginning of a New beginning. The key is that decorum rules will be stated by the membership representatives that are clear on what will be a violation. And if frank doesn’t change he will be banned. That’s the key. I’ve been very critical of frank, but there needs to be clarity and consistency in our rules. You have to fight to maintain something like this site. It doesn’t just live on forever by itself.

But what’s more important to me is that we need financial and decision transparency. Every club that I belong to that has membership fees and asks for donations has always done this. ESR decided in the past not to do so.
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1974 914 2.0 - Yellow
    1997 993 C4S Coupe - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by mrar View Post
    I didn't join this forum for this bs.
    No support for this proposal from me,
    Was happy with how it ran over the last eight years I have been here as a financial member.
    Nothing is perfect, if it's not broken don't fix it.
    Certainly no problem with your position. But many members feel it is broken, or starting to break. My view is that it’s a balance. I would also ask, what’s wrong with the proposal?
    1974 914 2.0 - Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    This is somewhat sad.....
    Yes. Very sad. It’s sad that members have to fight to get change that many view is needed on transparency. Why on earth there has been zero is beyond me and exceptionally unusual for a club like this that is member supported. But I would ask you, do you think, beyond being sad, that the proposals are bad ?
    1974 914 2.0 - Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Simonjjb View Post
    Certainly no problem with your position. But many members feel it is broken, or starting to break.
    It wasn't until this nonsense reared it's ugly head.
    67 911 , 69 911S, 68 Blood Orange 912, 85 Carrera...and-gasp! a bunch of Corvettes, Musclecars and Italian crap(330GTC,GTA/M,308GTB)

EarlyS # 603, GroupV #2

Another site had a comment that ESR was in the process of tearing itself apart. Until reading this post I was blissfully unaware of potentially existential conflict. Thanks for moving the issue out of "Off Topic" to a place where it can be considered by all who may be concerned.