Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Hood Latch stuck

Front Hood Latch stuck

Is there a easy way to open the front Hood on 1970? I had made a small adjustment to the hinge bolt to make the Hood flush out with the body and now the hood does not pop up to get to the latch. Any ideas would be appreciated.:confused
    Steve Hoskins

1972 Sepia 911 T Coupe
    1970 Conda Green 911T Coupe
    1968 Tangerine 911 T Targa Soft Window
    1960 Silver 356 Coupe
    1956 Polyantha Red Speedster
    2007 Meteor Gray 997 Coupe

There is no easy way. Have someone hold the release cable all the way back while another goes to the front of the hood and pushs,,,,pulls,,, twists,,,,pushes to one side or the other ,,,,until you hopefully find that magic place where the hood pin can come out of the socket.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

If you are solo, you can slide a washer in behind the bonnet pull T-handle which wedges it in the extended position. Good luck. I have been there - it's an awfully frustrating job.
    Scotty

Early S #3169

'70 911S Coupé
    '73 911T Targa
    '78 911SC coupé
    '74 BMW 3.0 CS

Instagram - @aircooledlist

We've all probably had this happen at least once. It's happened to me a couple of times. Ed's solution is what you most likely need to do. One other thing I did that worked once after I made a slight adjustment was to pull the car up to a couple of feet away from my garage door and set the brake. Then with someone holding the release cable all the way back I sat on the ground, back against the garage door, and carefully pushed the front of the hood with both feet. That gave me the leverage to push the hood back a fraction and that was enough for the hood pin to pop out of the socket. Good luck.

Steve,

Any luck on your hood? If it makes you feel any better I stuck the hood on a 68 911 last night. After some cursing a little help from the wife and some head scratching I was able to get it to pop open. Ended up pulling on the passenger side mostly. I guess it is all how the pin is stuck. Thought of sliding a nylon strap around the pin which would give some leverage to pull in a couple directions. Did not have to go there. Did try Richards technique with the feet. Enjoyed that.

Best of luck.

Brad (proud member of the hood stuck club)
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Also a member of the club. Used the above but one thought, pin is engaged from driver side of car with sliding lever. I used a wood wedge to move the hood towards passenger side. This did the trick.

The hood latch has (if I remember correctly) a design that allows it to release if the cable breaks. The pawl in the latch, if adjusted correctly, will release under full tension as well as full relax. Try un-threading your release knob a little bit to see if that releases the plunger.
    Also, try pushing down on the hood while someone pulls the release and see if that works.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I had the same issue few weeks ago. nightmare . We used the Ed'method. hold strong the release cable - really strong. and move left and right the hood slowly but with strenght and ... eventually we had it. It looks that it depends on the alignment of the upper pin with the lower match. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure I did the procedure for adjusting the latch at one time, do a search for it.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed- I believe this is the posting your are referring to that was very helpful.

Seeking-Advice-on-the-Hood-Latch
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709