Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm making Porsche steel alloys

Hi John! Thank you sir.

Matt
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by acoupe View Post
    How much do the sevens weigh? These are original 7Kx15 alloy/steel 906 fronts......15.75lbs. Note the centers with no hubcap "bumps".
    That sounds about right!

My 7Js weigh 15,25 pounds. But the Engineers say new forged 6061 (T6) is 3X stronger..

Regards,

Matt
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow491 View Post
    I would possibly be interested in two sets for a 904 i am building if they dont have the hub cap bumps,6&7.
    Also finished weights of 6&7.
    Hello and thx for the interest, I'm pretty sure the hubcap bumps were present on the 904s steel alloy racing wheels.

My 7s weigh 15,25 lbs and I believe the 6s are about a pound lighter. I can get the exact weight for you tomorrow.

BR,

Matt
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Regarding the center section flange; the steel alloy racing wheel centers were thinner gauge (3.9mm iirc) but had a wider flange (about an inch) while the standard steel wheel flange was less wide (about 5/8") but 4,8mm material thickness.

A set of square 7s are running on the standard flange and only (16) 1/4" rivets, and are fine on a 230 hp 911 Carrera w no issues for a long time.

To build out the flange to match the width of the real racing wheel flange
    adds a lot of work but I dont think it's needed for most applications although having the real steel alloy look inside is pleasing to behold.

For wider than 8 or high hp 911s I'd feel better about taking the extra time to build it out.

Even on the standard flange depth I've built this set with 20 steel structural rivets.

To make this long story short, I could reduce the cost of the wheels a little if not remaking the flange to the original dimension. I'm happy to do it if asked but the price must go up with all of the machine work of the centers and barrels to interference fit, it's simply too time consuming to make them for less.

Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fixer; 09-19-2019 at 05:30 AM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Well aware having owned and raced a 906,but i want 6&7 with no bumps if i can for my build.
    The wheels look great and sensible rather than racing on 50 year old wheels.
    Most alloy similar looking wheels i saw in the usa are far to heavy,or it may be fuchs to use.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow491 View Post
    Well aware having owned and raced a 906,but i want 6&7 with no bumps if i can for my build.
    The wheels look great and sensible rather than racing on 50 year old wheels.
    Most alloy similar looking wheels i saw in the usa are far to heavy,or it may be fuchs to use.
    Thanks.
    I can make steel alloys without the hubcap bumps but it will double the time and price of the wheel. It is a nice look without I agree.

Thank you for inquiring.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

The ride is terrific.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar
    Are those 7” rims in the photos, Matt?

What offset?

215/60-15 tires?

Best,
    Andy
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

Hi Andy,

Fronts are 6s ET 41 wearing 195/60s, rears are my 7R which is very close to the 7R but I added 3mm backspaceing moving the 7" rim inward for SWB narrow hip clearance. My rear tires are 205/60s but there is room still for more rubber. I felt a hotrod 1720cc blueprinted motor didnt need any more tire.

Regards,

Matt
    Last edited by Fixer; 09-20-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I did about 40 miles today and loved it. The steel alloys are fantastic and just eat up rough roads.
    I like the outlaw grey but classic silver would look better I'm thinking on my SWB car.

https://youtu.be/gs_uUwurBRg
    Haverford Pennsylvania