Thread: 68 911 warning/flashing light issue

68 911 warning/flashing light issue

Good evening all. Need a little assistance with my warning lights.

I have a 68 911 USA model that came with warning lights from the factory. I purchased the car about a year and a half ago from the second owner who had parked it since 1991. After a year or so working on her (touching just about everything from fuel system, brakes, and engine) I finally registered the car and drove it around a bit. It is time to get it inspected and I was checking all the lights beforehand. Everything worked...so I thought. I pulled the warning/flashing light switch to turn them on and I could hear the relay clicking away, the left and right arrow on the tachometer was blinking as well. I got out of the car to check that the lights were flashing as well, only to find the right side was flashing but not the left side. I got back in the car and pushed in and pulled out the switch several times hoping it was a dirty contact but instead all the lights stopped flashing, the left and right arrows stop illuminating on the tach, all that was left working is the Control Light Unit relay "can" clicking away doing nothing.

My question...do you think it is the W595/A control light relay (hazard relay, I think PCG.615.101.10?) that is bad or is it the clicking silver can which is the control light unit (901.615.341.10)?

Also, I have looked and the 901.615.341.10 is NLA, any ideas what to use in it's place or where to find a good used one if that is the culprit?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Lou

You need to check for voltage and ground at each bulb socket. Take each bulb out and with the voltmeter probe check for power at each brass contact while at the same time grounding each fixture directly to a good chassis ground.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,

All the lights work. It's just the flasher/hazard that doesn't. What will checking for power do to solve the problem?

Lou

Since many wiring problems are simple ground problems I suggested to start there, since you said the left side signal lights didn't work , but yet you said the right side did. You can spend hours diagnosing a problem only to eventually find a bulb filament was burned out, or the brass contacts weren't touching the bulb contact, or the housing wasn't adequately grounded, but if you're sure all that is good and there is no possible weak circuit or bad ground, then you can start by removing the metal cans from the relays and looking for something obvious like burned contacts, inadequate spring tension or some such mechanical problem. In the end these are a form of electro-mechanical devices and and can sometimes be fixed,,,,unlike modern computer boxes.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ah, I see where you were going. All the lights work fine in "normal" mode, i.e., blinkers and parking lights and such. When I put on the flashers, the left side did not flash only the right side. Now nothing flashes but all lights still function.

I noticed the Control Light Unit "can: is NLA? Any modern alternatives? I can open the can and check it out though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Okay, so just in case someone else runs into this issue I will post my solution. It was the silver can relay (901.615.341.10) that is NLA. After doing a lot of searching and reading, I found another post that recommended using a VW alternative. It is a Wolfsburg West Flasher Part no: 211953227BWW. It contains the necessary internals for 30, VR, VL, and S. Remember to ground the relay using the mounting hole and it works. It's a large relay but just fits in the proper location without issue.

i just posted a similar (but not the same) problem.

i will see whether your solution fixes my problem. thanks.

Posted on your thread, hope it helps.