Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parcel shelf seat belt mounts

Parcel shelf seat belt mounts

So, I bought this 70T shell to build and noticed it has the parcel shelf seat belt mounts installed from the factory. They have plugs in them so I don't believe they were ever used but they definitely look factory installed. It's an early 70T. Vin# 9110120073. Any of you guys seen these factory installed before and not used?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    72S, 72T now ST

Yes my 73 RS has them but they're under the original parcel shelf trim so I've never used them. It also has factory location in central tunnel and inside rockers ...not on the recaro sport seat frame. These lower ones being factory provided allows harness if I wished to cut or remove shelf trim or original fitment static three point using the B pillar.

I've read it said that only M471 RS got the three point statics but that is patently bollocks as shown by in period photos of rhd C16 M472 cars when new.

British market EG C16 equipment cars were subject to a specific national British standard BS AU regulation on seatbelts mountings at the time signified by the plate above the alloy front slam.

Pre common market there were different regulations across the continent of Europe let alone rest of world and north america. There were different brand belts fitted in Aus UK Switzerland. Belts e.g. kangol were fitted by importers in some markets in 73 and still appeared on MY 73 pricelist for options iirc.

Being a safety critical item on approaching 50 year old cars specific local advice from qualified expert is recommended.

With the evolution of seatbelts tech and evolving regulations around early 70s I believe there is more complexity of what kit got fitted and their mounts than sometimes assumed.

There will no doubt be a reason some cars years models markets got the rear parcel locations and others not. We probably haven't figured it out. I've always assumed it was part of the prep for RS and that all had them as I've seen on later series RS LHD too but I've seen a RHD C16 EG 911 T made same month as my car with the lower tunnel/rocker side pair of mounts so maybe a national regulation thing. Not looked at rear parcel area on the T but I'd guess that car had same mounts as you pictured.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-26-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Have these in my '69, not used either.
    I think they were rather std, and not a RS specific part.

Agree not rs specific but not all chassis have them afaik so unlikely to be a random thing therefore some combination of year market regulation and model would likely explain their presence or not. Particularly a safety critical option for harness mounting unlikely to be random event even in 70s. Yes some things would've varied for pragmatic supply chain and lineside events.When I worked in automotive operations build variations and engineering concessions with safety and other implications had to be signed off by appropriate engineer. Even though I am a Chartered Engineer and was one of just two directors in engineering division of that OEM I wasn't in the sign off protocol for seatbelts mountings.

With the impressive reach of this forum we are well placed to look for many such patterns... beyond the well researched font and machining on spanners. I suspect may of the things we see as random had a build rationale. Porsche being German OEM likley would have had process control / configuration control for safety critical items not just allowing workers to fit any safety critical item they found at lineside...even in 70s

Enough anaorking about past-- up to date -- just off to Silverstone having been invited to garage of a British Touring Car Championship team for their weekend preparation. Haven't attended BTCC for ages.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-27-2019 at 03:09 AM.

Were in my 70-S and not used either.

'68, no S, no L

Name:  IMG_9326.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  114.8 KB
    LOOKING FOR SERVICE BOOK No 2361
    1968 Karmann Coupe 2.0 tangerine
    1993 Ducati 750 SS

Yes and There’s another thread where we discussed this in length. Determined that they ceased early in 70MY production. My Jan 70S doesn’t have them. Also, IIRC, the parcel shelf mounts in the later cars did not automatically mean the inclusion of lower tunnel mounts in the post 68 cars.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

..... duplicate post
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Scott, My early 70 car also had these plugged off from the factory. I have heard various rumours about these. Ranging from, there mostly a European or Karmann built shell item. Other rumours are that they are in shells that may be considered as ready for sports purpose builds ready for race harnesses. I guess we will never really find out.

Dave