Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My new 911S....help required

Cool in UK too and have a few pals with old 911s. Maybe meet some event ?

Hugh
    My RHD car (69t) has the BS AU 48 plate.
    It was ordered (per the Kardex), delivered and (prior to Sydney) has always been in South Africa.
    6E5AC17A-7B77-4D19-B943-43E20CCEE582.jpg
    Maybe it was attached to more than just UK ?
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T (matching numbers)
    1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T (matching numbers)
    1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD stripped to chassis and slowly re-building)
    1987 W124 230e

(long term paid up member)

Maybe some counties decided to adopt the British standards institute regulations on seatbelt mounting points rather than doing their own work to approve or adopt dot or din or whatever.

The bnib nos seatbelts I have as spares are identical to the first fitted kangols on my EG16 rhd 63 RS were from a shipment destined for South Africa but the shipment never made it and I was delighted to find a pair for my shelf of correct to spec spares.

Also on brochures around that time Porsche so called rest of the world literature items in English language are different to North America versions. Is it possible commonwealth countries were in some ways a segment having historical commonality for some things while having some unique aspects e.g I heard from Hugh seatbts were at time an Australian brand.

Though USA was a big market there is certainly more nuance and variation to the different build specificatins and often there is a default NA centric view to things covered here which is noticeable to folks living elsewhere. As stated the fahrzeug auftrag gave both the codes like EG C16 or equivalents for other county specifications which defines these things for workers.

While there is undoubtedly some things that were pragmatic decisions and depended on lineside availability for safety critical items there would have been controls and sign off even on those days. As a former group operations director of a well known sports car OEM and deputy managing director of a tier one automotive engineering business developing vehicles for other marques I am pretty confident Porsche would have had the necessary processes and controls even in those days. Even if trainspotting 50 years on the patterns and logic are not apparant to us and at times appear random.

S
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-21-2019 at 12:37 AM.

Paul
    I think Hong Kong cars at that time were considered "UK" due to its colonial status then. Also I think, from others who have had South African cars from that time that Porsche (and others) were not selling directly into South Africa at that time ( ie 1969 / 70 for your car) due to the Political situation - so the cars were ordered ex UK (possibly to UK specs) and delivered directly to South Africa (or maybe indirectly via a UK port for a brief stop over ) I think that was the case with Lee Durrant's 69 but I dont know if it had that plate or not
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

............. snippets online from later in 70s...

Screenshot_20191021-133407~2.jpg

Not all porsche 911 have the seat belt mountings already in the chassis inner sill/rockers and centre tunnel, whereas cars like mine and others I've seen with this plate do; along with static three point belts. Also the mounting on B Pillar and the provision of the forward facing rear shelf mounts under trim that were not used in road spec.. I've certainly looked at various RHD cars around ~ 12/72 build for this feature among friends. I know of 73 T and 73 E with this arrangement both 12/72 build. I suppose it might be related to type approval for that particular seatbelt mounting arrangement for RHD cars even those not for British market nor supplied r via PCGB allocation ..but I don't have a complete picture so just a partially researched best guess as part of understanding my car's original spec. It could be that other countries particularly with the relative low numbers on RHD just found it practical to adopt BSI BS AU 48 for seatbelt mounting rather than their own type approval for that aspect yet maybe like Australia had different requirements for belts themselves to help support their industry S Hugh pointed out elsewhere some time ago. It is not a Porsche thing other cars has AU48 requirement for UK obviously. I've seen debate in Alfa circles as well as other marques.
    I expect it got harmonized along with many other standards after UK joined what as a kid recall was then just a "European common market" in January of 73.

The McNally 911 for use in SA certainly went via the UK though it was a sporting purpose car but don't know if it had this plate.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-21-2019 at 06:20 AM.