Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new 911S....help required

Wow...thanks all - that is all amazing....I am UK based - near Hereford. Great to see extra images and yes, i got the gearbox code wrong as it is 7394005 which would make it a 901/79. I took a photo of the number with my phone and the type number was smudged with some black goo so I looked it up online and picked the wrong one. Loads of extra information that I now have - didn't know about the '69 COI and having seen the tool bag - mmmm, think I might make one and keep it in the shed - it's not a looker is it?

Any extra info on Mr Vard and his exploits would be good. I am just in the throes of making the brakes work and then will really see what it is like....it is more ropey underneath than I first hoped but no surprise there! Vard obviously went down the list for the factory competition driver list and ticked most....it will be interesting to see what the engine really is as it isn't the original but looks like a late 1969/'70 unit.

Very much appreciate your kindness and time. Kardex and gearbox number images attached.Name:  tn_Gbox.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  95.3 KBName:  tn_IMG_20190926_202436.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  100.8 KB

Update

Thanks one and all...that is so useful. I have now joined the Registry - well, paid my dues anyway and am simply going to get the car back on the road and run it for a bit. Brakes are all seized but that's about it.

I attach a photo of the cardex and the gearbox number - I got the type wrong as it is obscured by some black goo - I simply took loads of pictures with my phone underneath till I got them all in. Very interesting to see the options list for the sports options. I hope to go and see if the Frazer Nash archives have any references to the car and Cecil Vard as they hold the old AFN records which might reach as far as the late '60s....worth a shot.

If anyone has a spare copy of The Porsche 911 in Irish Rallying by Mike Copeland I am definately in the market for one of those. I have found a way to contact Paul Phelan who was the navigator in '71 so hopefully he will have some (happy) memories too.

I will be back asking lots of silly questions as and when I get my teeth into the car.

Thanks

MatthewName:  tn_Gbox.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  95.3 KBName:  tn_IMG_20190926_202436.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  100.8 KB

Thanks for sharing the Kardex.

Did you figure out what option 9321 is? The rest of them are pretty well documented.

Wondering if it could be map light...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

9321 is probably the electric sunroof.

~J~
    air cooled only

My 71 has electric sunroof it’s #650
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Great find, Matthew, and loving the detail in this thread.
    Mikey C. ESR Membership #3333
    http://www.mceporsche.com

oops, just read your post above where you mention the book and Paul Phelan!

There are a couple of photos of WZO911 in "The Porsche 911 in Irish Rallying" by Mark Copeland and some history of Cecil Vard and his co-driver, Paul Phelan... it's quite a difficult book to find... according to the book, he was 6th on the Circuit of Ireland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_of_Ireland_Rally) in 1969, 12th in the Galway Rally (http://www.rally.ie/index.php/stories/141205-152638) in 1970, and 8th on the Circuit of Ireland in 1971.
    Stephen
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Welcome Matthew, great introduction this!
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

First dumb question then...UK supplied March 1969 RHD 911S...where should the VIN tag sit?...on the front panel under the bonnet (hood) or on the A pillar - if so which side. It has been repainted so may times I can't match up any holes. I have the original tag which has been removed at some point - presumably for painting....

Thanks also for your information and encouragement so far.

Matthew

Nice car.
    I see that you have obtained a copy of the kardex. But If you have not already done so, it is recommended that you also contact the Porsche Club GB archive manager. PCGB has the old AFN records. I did so and they were very helpful and sent an extract on the information contained in their records.

Best Nick