Thread: Australian Asbestos Examiner on East Coast Needed

Australian Asbestos Examiner on East Coast Needed

I am shipping my 1966 911 Porsche coupe to my daughter in Australia. Australia has a “zero tolerance” for any asbestos. To scare you further, there is a $3,000 fine for every part that the Australian Border Force (ABF) finds with asbestos.

On the West Coast, there are asbestos examiners that certify that there is no asbestos. I have arrangements to ship the car from Linden, NJ to Sydney, NSW, Australia, but I cannot find such an examiner on the east coast.

Can anyone assist me in finding an examiner so I don’t have to sweat the inspection. I have been very complete in finding MSDS sheets, speaking to Stoddard, M&K Mufflers, EBS and others, but I would be more comfortable having it certified “asbestos free” before it leaves.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom,
    I dont know who your shipping agent is but Ive used Nigel Wilkinson from CFR Rinkens to NZ ex Cal with flawless results.
    He is Australian but I sharn't hold that against either of you. Ships a lot of old cars to us all down here and knows the details of australian and nz restrictions. They have offices on the East Coast so he may know someone and be able to assist.
    pm me for his details if needed.
    Good Luck,, it will be OK
    Mark

You may also want to check into the material used for the original parking brake shoe lining
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

And if you have (or had) a Webasto heater, don't forget to remove the asbestos pad on the under side of the "smuggler's" box lid.

Definitely find someone there to give it the all clear, I have used west coast companies as you mention.
    It is less about asbestos removal and more about ticking the box, paid about $900 for the last car to get "certified" which seemed to involve them ripping out the brake shoes (old Karmann Ghia) and signing the clearance.