Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Back to life...double entendre intended : )

Speedo..... alway fun to see your adventures
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

72 targa

Been fixing little items...
    index front TBars (that was embarrassing...not sure what look PO was going for)
    tach was wrong year and refused to work (correct year tach actually works)
    rear seat back carpet needed love (Barqs contact cement)
    steering wheel wanted to be varathaned (may get replaced with 805 10 wheel)
    rear view interior mirror mount (challenge...superglue does NOT work)
    radio delete with plate (aluminum plate covered in vinyl)
    replace oil filter (challenge...married to console)
    ongoing battle with mice (think I have won)
    targa top removal and eval for seals (front looks solid, rear, not so much)
    fuchs wanted center caps (I obliged)
    replaced the rubber deco that was missing on the front bumper from the rubber bumperette removal (I had scraps)

Top off (definitely looks better top off) and added a few miles today...hesitation transitioning from 1000-1500 rpm slowly going away. I am going to assume that the varnished fuel in the MFI system is being slowly "washed away".
    I have been a Weber guy from way back. When the MFI is happy, the car is a rocket...and it is getting happier all the time.
    My son (restoring his own 914) thinks the red decklid is bitch'in. Guess we'll keep it...for now.
    I need to wash this poor thing...but I am almost afraid to see what the matte black paint is like under the dirt.

But hey, underneath all the bad makeup...is a light yellow, matching numbers, 2.4 S targa that literally fell into my lap.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by speedo; 10-13-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    registry# 1283

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Great work! And agree with your son - the red lid does look bitchin’! Perhaps a Matt black Porsche decal would marry it to the body. You should have fun with it just like this for a wee while, before returning to light yellow. Great thread! Keep it coming!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Back...

Filled in the missing rubber in the front bumper where the bumperetes were deleted, washed most of the dirt (although that just exposed more of the bad black paint job), and swapped out the "patina-ed" wood steering wheel for a dished 347 805 10 wheel which (while it doesn't fix the exterior), helps the interior. The T tach is bugging me...correct S tach on the way. The dash mat is also an eyesore. Maybe I need some coco mats...
    registry# 1283

Dug out an old 2.4 emblem...need to give the beast due respect. In another thread I got a couple helpful responses as to where to position the emblem on the grill.
    I was surprised to find that the correct location was behind the Deutsche emblem. Hmmm...removed the emblem and found the shadow of what was the grill emblem. Great...easy to position. We'll balance the grill out by moving the emblem to the other side. Originals were riveted to the grill...we're going with JB Weld.
    The outside of the targa top is pretty good as are the mechanicals, but as is typical, the interior felt is "droopy". Dave Brown (targa top wizard) is local to me and his work is stellar. This top doesn't need to be restored, but it would be nice to get the felt to lay flat to the interior top of the ...well, top and not droop. Any suggestions? If I could get behind it I could use some 3M upholstery adhesive, but I don't know how to get behind it. Ideas?
    Other good news...I seemed to have significantly reduced (after many foiled attempts) the mice population in the shop...and as a result the targa is no longer a varmit AirBnB. And my German weave carpet is safe for now. Don't ask....I won and no children or pets were hurt. It involve a bit of Jarlsberg, some old fashioned traps and the dreaded "zapper".
    Last edited by speedo; 10-26-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    registry# 1283

Enjoying the thread

I did wash him...and he improved marginally.

If you squint you can see the difference...be kind.
    Bled the brakes again (why am I continually bleeding the brakes) and the bubbles were minimal, but the pedal "effect" is getting stiffer.
    We are getting major storm tonight (16 + snow) so while the weather was nice...57 degrees, I took advantage. The front spoiler is the strange "interim" fiberglass spoiler before Porsche went to the steel version (not claiming to be a historian, but that is what I was told) and it is rough. Solid but cosmetically challenged like the car it is mounted to. When I got the car it had the god awful battering ram 15 lb rubber projectile bumperettes that remind me of bra commercials back in the 60s.
    I removed those and their absence was very noticeable. In fact it looks like they were stolen and the owner didn't care. Well, in fact they weren't stolen , AND the owner didn't care. If you need a couple very used "projectile front bumperettes, PM me and we can trade for something you no longer want that is equally as "used".
    I spliced in extra rubber from parts I had on the shelf,(that in a year or two will be cursing myself...as I had forgotten that I needed the rubber for something and now it has been pirated...oh well) that fit rather well. The bumperrette holes were filled with POR 15 hole filler that can be removed at some point in the future. Some modest sanding...and rattle can satin black (I need to be consistent with the exterior paint) and voila!
    Before and after...big improvement.
    And yes the monumental task of removing the Deutschland emblem, relocating it and affixing the 2.4 emblem went without a hitch...I didn't screw any thing up. I woke in the middle of the night wondering if the JB welded emblem might have moved before setting up...and I come to find that it has drooped 30 degrees on the grill like the very early 911 emblems on the decklid at an angle but fortunately I am an experienced "glue-er" and it did not happen. Happy 2.4 emblem and relocated Deutschland emblem.
    After the chores were done. took it up the road for a pre-blizzard run and although it is sluggish at low rpms until it warms up, then the little engine acts like a dog that was left at home all day...leaving both of use grinning. Oh yeah, another bonus, I guess the brake lights actually work...whohoo. Ignore the expired license plate...I'm working on it.
    In the third pic...or is it me, he looks like he is smirking?
    Last edited by speedo; 10-27-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    registry# 1283

Back in black

Today I got the title and BOS I have been waiting for. Everything looks in order, although I NEVER am arrogant or ambitious when it comes to dealing with the DMV...cross my fingers. I only had one headlight and no power to the dead right side...so I did the obvious, disassemble everything, check the spades and fuses, found power and reassemble.
    A good friend offered me some almost new Coco mats which would be wrong for a lite yellow car...but very right for a patina-ed black car. I think they were out of his SC but they fit perfectly. The little car appreciated the gesture. Kind of like going to the store for the wife, and bringing home flowers with the groceries. Costs us little but the effort is appreciated. The rubber on the front of the targa bar is very aged and will be replaced shortly. I deleted the radio hole in black vinyl, and the age of the old original vinyl and color make me think I want to replace the rest of the dash facia in black. Thoughts? I mean the dash itself is black? That dash cover is bugging me, but as much as I want to fix the dash, it requires a windshield "pull". Maybe I just remove the carpet and deal with the cracks. I personally have a few wrinkles and they don't bother me ...much. : )
    Last edited by speedo; 11-02-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    registry# 1283

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Personally, I really love those Coco mats you’ve fitted.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

@speedo, love this thread.... you and Mythbusters have proven you can polish a turd! Well done, subscribed. And your son is right, the red deck lid is bitchin'!