Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NOS 914/6, Carrera RS 380mm Steering Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Rounders,

A posted pic of an 806 with a 1970 date code would be appreciated. I'm not arguing with anything Steve has written. Thanks.
    I would like to see that as well. 806 likely started with 73 dated wheels. The real question is what RS chassis # started with the 1973 806 wheel? For that matter any 805 wheel would be "correct" for an RS before that chassis number.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    .... 806 likely started with 73 dated wheels..
    Why say 806 started in 73 when I and Clyde are on record as stating early RS fitted equipment is 806.10 with X/70 date?

I just restated that very fact in this thread but ignored. This is precisely perpetuation of supposition noise that does the ESR much disservice as a community that people look to for facts and leads to confusion. Of course 806.10 X/70 exist and are in fact bolted to known Early RS . Clyde had two 806.10 X/70 on each of his known RS . I've got one on my RS ever since I've had it from early 90s -- which I have stated many times on this forum. frankly it shouldn't require a photo if member states it. When several senior posters give fact based input that is blatantly ignored over supposition it gets silly here. Sad.

S

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Why say 806 started in 73 when I and Clyde are on record as stating early RS fitted equipment is 806.10 with X/70 date?

I just restated that very fact in this thread but ignored. This is precisely perpetuation of supposition noise that does the ESR much disservice as a community that people look to for facts and leads to confusion. Of course 806.10 X/70 exist and are in fact bolted to known Early RS . Clyde had two 806.10 X/70 on each of his known RS . I've got one on my RS ever since I've had it from early 90s -- which I have stated many times on this forum. frankly it shouldn't require a photo if member states it. When several senior posters give fact based input that is blatantly ignored over supposition it gets silly here. Sad.

S
    Guys !!!

Is your memory perfect? Mine isn't.....in posts such as this, there are SO MANY little details it is easy to be honestly confused.......Steve, you wrote this in Sept. 2017, below. It would be fun to see a pix of your wheel. Thanks.

"+2 agree. I double checked my car to be totally sure. Confirming as previously posted: It has 806 10 date stamped x/70. It is a first series vin 2-300 range RS produced 12/72. Original leather wrap still present along with RS plastic horn push.

Also double checked that 806 10 is the part number listed for RS in the maroon 72/3 factory parts book (edition dated 1/73 so from when these cars being made). As Clyde said elsewhere, 806 10 is the part # against 380mm diameter RS leather sports steering wheel with the appropriate qty 1 in just the Carrera vertical column and - other columns denoting 806 10 part # not applicable to TES

Based on Brian's input about his car's steering wheel date it appears that the old stock inventory date stamped 806 10 from 2,3 or 4 /70 must have run out somewhere before the mid point of vin 4-500 range. Assuming that based on 12/73 dated 380mm wheel being date his post says was fitted originally to his RS (iirc vin # 451?). This was towards end of first 500 series, assembled after the Christmas break during Jan of 73. That car had plastic horn push originally iirc.

Maybe after mopping up those old stock x/70 dated items 806 10 the supply chain was then delivering RS version steering wheels a more typical month or two component lead time ahead of car's month of production -- at least that seems to be case based on these few examples.

Steve"

Allen

See posts #97 and 99. Dirk Clyde are folks I respect and trust. They discuss 806.10 X/70 specifically. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...E-TRUTH/page10

Post # 59 Clyde expresses a view he and I have discussed based on actual cars

Brian too floats the view of 70 date going to 73.

Believe me I have researched this point and have mails and photos of email from owners and friends. As stated Brian and I RS examples are well documented and unusual by having fahrzeug auftreg which gives production to the day. I can't locate Brian's input on wheel but recall it is 73 ( probably 1/73) and mine is definitely 70 so in the space of a month they had moved to 73 date. That is why I surmise X/70 going to 1/73. I've also seen 3/73 all 806.10. The plastic horn push was discontinued on ?? Feb iirc so those don't align as change point.

I know one of the very last first 500 has 1/73. Got photo of it but wouldn't post someone's image on www.

Regarding posting pic of my wheel of course I could as I'm looking at it right now on my pc but as in past I I post lots but push back if I don't chose what and when to share. The fact input is consistently not taken onboard respected since '17 doesn't make me minded to do that of Clyde's and Dirk's on addition to fact based comments aren't a convenient truth so other things surmised. The charitable interpretation is lots of post info; but the restatement was just few posts back and also ignored -- obviously irritates that folks input and makes me think why bother, it's just a hobby.

Steve

There is a typo in the 17 thing and you cut/pasted... I wrote Brian's wheel 12 73 ..probably 1 73 as earlier obviously. I need to edit my original post
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-12-2019 at 12:43 PM.

I have a 1970 806.10 wheel and I wouldn’t blare my horns (or disconnect power) to take the puck off to prove my point. I’m not suggesting anything about what car the wheel came with, because I picked it up in a box of parts when it was 37 years old. It could be from an RS or a 914/6 when new. Right now it’s on my 72T.

Instead of just providing a canceling ring, why not mount it and charge the extra cost? Probably because it’s not that easy. I recall that adding a canceling ring requires countersinking the mounting points. Even after doing that, I have also read that the hub does not sit flush with the column and there is a little wobble to the wheel. At the end of the day, if I paid that much money for a wheel that wobbles after also having to machine the hub, I wouldn’t be a happy customer.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Until an image of a 70 or 71 wheel is posted with an 06 this is silly. Happy to take the 30 seconds to mount the horn canceling ring for anyone who buys the wheel.

done. done.IMG_8969.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    Until an image of a 70 or 71 wheel is posted with an 06 this is silly. Happy to take the 30 seconds to mount the horn canceling ring for anyone who buys the wheel.
    Unfortunately for you, you’re the one that is trying to sell it. We don’t have to prove we are right (again), you should try to prove us wrong.

Good luck mounting the ring and still being able to fit the wheel flush. (Hint: that is how to prove us wrong)
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

But wasn't ever wrong because it was based on factual information from folks (factory books, long term cars, wheels with unique rs plastic horn, research etc) despite not having a financial angle on a for sale item. No agenda other than preserving the integrity of information in ESR which ought to be the touchstone of truth about the specification of a longhood models. Regrettably this discussion has taught me nothing new about RS wheels but I've learned heaps about the level of trust and respect for the input of enthusiastic posters who try to use facts to straighten out "misundertanding? " being perpetuated without evidence. In my book another sad episode for ESR as a trust based community to share info on early 911.

The value of the ESR to me is in the integrity of information about such stuff much more than the pittance members optionally choose pay or advertising revenue whatever . If that integrity of spec and config is not truly core among the cultural values of this forum then what is it? Also noteworthy is the Aus German UK NA and other collaborative input on a very specific point which supports the goal to grow forum internationally.

If information emerges to contrary I'm happy to listen and learn otherwise it's noise.

As stated GLWS I genuine hope it makes a ton.

S
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-12-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Wheel Is Sold. Thanks for the interest.