Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: NOS 914/6, Carrera RS 380mm Steering Wheel

I'm stepping back now but in closing at all points I wished the seller best of luck with sale for what is obviously a great wheel a box from what looks like the eighties. I imagine the buyer if they read the to and fro knows what it is and so should be very happy. Why would seller say sold if not - I don't doubt that. While obviously there are no absolutes and many exceptions on old stuff and some folks don't give a cr@p on authenticity. Or don't do due diligence ..them we hear the stories of not being the real thing when later they reach to ESR or help on car or part or whatever that is not to spec.

I simply shared and restated (and restated again in face of dismissiveness) what I know to be true and substanated But wasn't believed. Nothing personal against seller who I don't even know but think is a very experienced guy and certainly not impuning any reputations. Doubt we'll fall out over a storm on a teacup.

On the other hand when a number of experienced owners with knowledge and researched facts bother to intervene on the listing but are waived away dismisively by folks for some reason regarded as having ALL THE knowledge it is a turn off to inclusiveness. If folks who post unsubstantiated claim in face of multiple fact based proof choose to leave board then so be it. I doubt their egos are that fragile and surely all can learn.

On the other hand if a few folks can wave away inconvenient facts that may lose folks and probably over time dents integrity of the ESR as the source of best fact based knowledge. Breadth of input especially if substantiated should be welcomed certainly not the preserve just a handful of keepers of the knowledge. By the way Jim who is mentioned acknowledges in his 380 thread his earlier assertions were wrong based on input from Clyde and Brian iirc -- that's the proper way to do it imo -- but that acknowledgement was then regularly overlooked or ignored.

As a long term owner and researcher of RS I regularly find some folks "don't know their RS from their elbow" no matter how experienced or regarded they are among the circle. Doubt that is case with the seller who I hear is very knowledgeable and very experienced.

At the Rennsport event in UK an owner who owned and raced his original RS since 80s learned something from a comment during a discussion around a car he knew well and he was gracious in saying he'd learned something from the observation.. Not defensive or threatened. That is the point. Are facts when corroborated so threatening. After all I didn't make the unsubstantiated RS initial claim. I don't feel bad challenging it - if done by using many words, so what; it was correct after all. However this is spun correcting that original claim is not on the wrong side of this discussion. I didn't make the claim that is unsubstantiated.

No need to attack seller integrity though, but they could be more gracious once the facts established. This is a hobby and a community helping one another ...supposedly. I am irritated by the way this is still being spun even when the facts are pointing firmly to a beyond reasonable doubt conclusion. That is unhealthy culturally and if accepted as the underlying values here given the raison d'etre of the forum.

"Conventional wisdom of the dominant group" is dubbed COWDUNG for some reason among circles who think deeply about cultural behaviour, change and so forth : )

All ears if something new factual emerges of course.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-13-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by orange911 View Post
    Really? I find it hard to believe that the intelligent people here would pay so much for a wheel that isn’t correct, nor fits properly for a early 911. Hmmmmm, sounds like someone that’s trying to end this thread. Maybe you should prove you sold it, like you required a photo to be prove 1970 RS wheels existed.
    Gentlemen,

While there is often good information that comes out in these “for sale” classified posts and I understand the back and forth in this one, i submit that the effect of some of these posts is to discourage people from listing things for sale on this site. We essentially start to limit it to sellers with a thick skin. Those who don’t want to deal with the static will sell somewhere else which ultimately is detrimental to us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    Yes I see Clyde. My eyes are good. So there is an 06 wheel for 70. It is still not an absolute that it was the only wheel used until the 73 dated wheel. As I wrote in this post if the part number on my wheel keeps you up at night this may not be the wheel for you. There are date stamp, part number geeks. I am not one of them. It is physically the same part. If it does not work for someone looking for a different part # they do not need to buy it. There are no absolutes when it comes to 45 year old cars, especially Porsche cars. Agree or not. No matter.

The tone of these threads lately is sure taking the fun out of the forum. I love the guy who calls out every Recaro seat as incorrect. Jim B. has more Porsche knowledge than we could all hope to have. Once guys like him stop coming here you will just have your books and parts manuals to quote, but you guys know better anyway..

Olin I do sell a few cars and parts occasionally.
    OK, I can't help but feel I have been the cause of controversy by assumptions made by me as to part numbers on "RS" wheels. My "Truth" thread was not started to be a "be all end al" on steering wheels. Truth be told, it was started to alert innocent, uninformed people to the differences in 914 wheels and to stop a certain, retailer from preying on trusting people who wanted a 380MM steering wheel. I think I have achieved my goal of educating people as to the nuances of 914 steering wheels. I am far from an authority on anything, especially RSs that are way above my paygrade. Out of all this, we can all rest assured that a that a "806.10" wheel is the proper RS wheel. I do believe that a "805.10" is exactly the same in shape, construction and fitment. The last thing that I want to do is perpetuate incorrect info. I'll figure out some way of correcting or redacting anything to do with associating "805.10" wheels with RSs in the "Truth" thread. I am blown away by the number of looks that thread has produced.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    Yes I see Clyde. My eyes are good. So there is an 06 wheel for 70. It is still not an absolute that it was the only wheel used until the 73 dated wheel. As I wrote in this post if the part number on my wheel keeps you up at night this may not be the wheel for you. There are date stamp, part number geeks. I am not one of them. It is physically the same part. If it does not work for someone looking for a different part # they do not need to buy it. There are no absolutes when it comes to 45 year old cars, especially Porsche cars. Agree or not. No matter.

The tone of these threads lately is sure taking the fun out of the forum. I love the guy who calls out every Recaro seat as incorrect. Jim B. has more Porsche knowledge than we could all hope to have. Once guys like him stop coming here you will just have your books and parts manuals to quote, but you guys know better anyway..

Olin I do sell a few cars and parts occasionally.
    Thanks Don, totally on the money.
    LONG ago, when I bought my RS, it was fitted with a 300mph speedo when it was imported into the USA in 2000. When I bought the car, the 300 mph speedo was still installed, but the previous owner included the original, correct date stamped, 180Kph speedo, which I quickly re-installed. Then I put my 300 mpH speedo for sale on the registry classifieds. If I'm not mistaken, and (I very well could be) I think that Don actually bought it. But I was vilified when I posted...'NO SUCH THING", 'it's a fake', the seller is liar and fraud, it's been refaced, etc etc etc....ALL TOTALLY BS.....from a bunch of posters who should think before they type and accuse.....

BTW, Don, DID you buy the speedo? I don't remember....it was either you or Frank G....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Sman was it 300 mph or kph? And the180 kph or mph? Did Ruf have it custom made I wonder; pretty cool. My 73S has its original 250kph gauge. It keeps my math skills sharp.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

From the thread and the other related ones I'd suggest it is clear the people who challenged the unsubstantiated claim on the wheel FS listing had thought and furthermore had done some research and had evidence before factually pointing something out about the claim about the wheel.

I trust it is not being suggested otherwise? Even a casual perusal of the points posted with evidence will show that to be the case ...unless I've arrived at an alternative universe of reality?

One general observation. The way the forum responds to uncomfortable truths is quite interesting. It is entirely rational apparantly to examine font spacing and face machining on spanners that are for the most part common in Germany but being painted as a bit odd to car about/investigate the part number of a vey rare and expensive part --possibly the most prominent most touched driver ontrol on a limited edition homologation special. Doing so gets waived away and categorised as unimportant and the preserve of specification anoraks. Hilarious and sadly very revealing on the group dynamics and priorities of this forum.

Let's close this thread
    since the 805.10 wheel is sold an any buyer had ample input to their purchase decision. Unless I've missed it no concrete in period evidence had emerged to show 805.10 was the spec part number fitted wheel to RS. One can only surmise the buyer wanted the wheel which I've always maintained seems a great and hard to find item from eighties having a box sticker etc

As stated nothing personal and trying to use facts; don't even know seller and doubt Don and I will fall out over this as he seems to accept it isn't an RS wheel although to him such detail isn't important he says.

Jim has stepped up to correct one source of misunderstanding which is commendable given his thread is entitled THE TRUTH
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-15-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Typos

380mm wheel 803.10: post 12 & 13 comments please:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=steering
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    380mm wheel 803.10: post 12 & 13 comments please:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=steering
    This is what is stated and it is correct IMHO "803.10 is the core for an ST/RSR/914-6GT "Thick Grip" wheel (often called double-wrap)"

Thanks.

Here is my post with pictures from 2017 when I had an original 803.10:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.p...pic=305235&hl=
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman View Post
    Thanks Don, totally on the money.
    LONG ago, when I bought my RS, it was fitted with a 300mph speedo when it was imported into the USA in 2000. When I bought the car, the 300 mph speedo was still installed, but the previous owner included the original, correct date stamped, 180Kph speedo, which I quickly re-installed. Then I put my 300 mpH speedo for sale on the registry classifieds. If I'm not mistaken, and (I very well could be) I think that Don actually bought it. But I was vilified when I posted...'NO SUCH THING", 'it's a fake', the seller is liar and fraud, it's been refaced, etc etc etc....ALL TOTALLY BS.....from a bunch of posters who should think before they type and accuse.....

BTW, Don, DID you buy the speedo? I don't remember....it was either you or Frank G....
    Not sure Stacy. Could be. That was a lot of parts and cars ago. Probably a km instrument?

As far as truth goes and the rest of it, get over it. Because three guys say so does not mean so and there is no way to prove what each and every RS prior to the 73 dated wheels left the factory with. The wheel I had is physically the same wheel every RS had and is a reasonable part to use on an RS. I would rather have a NOS part than a recovered restored part. I would not care about a 5 or 6 at that point. I have never had a buyer check part numbers on an RS or any other car for that matter.

How about that RSR wheel that was just posted here for sale cheap that you gurus missed??
    Last edited by Rennman; 10-15-2019 at 04:10 PM.