Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: NOS 914/6, Carrera RS 380mm Steering Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    Sman was it 300 mph or kph? And the180 kph or mph? Did Ruf have it custom made I wonder; pretty cool. My 73S has its original 250kph gauge. It keeps my math skills sharp.
    Yes....I have my measurements incorrect: original RS was 300 kph, which I put back in the car; SOLD the 180 mph which was installed for USA import. Thanks for that!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

=Rennman;1034728]Not sure Stacy. Could be. That was a lot of parts and cars ago. Probably a km instrument?

I have never had a buyer check part numbers on an RS or any other car for that matter.
    Wait! You mean you've never had a potential buyer ask you to remove the steering wheel? Or a concours judge?
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

..the results, consequences and disappointments of a cavalier regard to authenticity and the lack of buyer due diligence are clear in threads such as this http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Cars-for-Sale

The ESR is either part of the ongoing problem or part of the search for understanding respecting evidence. I'm all ears on on period proof of 805.10 being documented as the factory part.

Gas on the Fire . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

I’ll say. Our British friend’s head is going to explode!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    I’ll say. Our British friend’s head is going to explode!
    Doubt it that thread is over 6 years old
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Just picked up this steering wheel from a fellow Porschephile which I think was offered here not too long ago. The 914-6 I recently purchased had an incorrect 400mm steering wheel so... I'm a fool for originality.

Here's the wheel.

914 347 806 10

Date: 4/70

Leather wrapped.

Was going to use this on a (July) 1970 Porsche 914-6. From my research I'm guessing this wheel would be correct for a 914-6 based on the numbers. The seller stated that it came off of an old 914-6 using the attached plastic collar that is pictured. The collar doesn't seem right to me and I'm not sure what it's for, definitely won't work on my Six. Without the collar, the wheel fit perfectly.

Anyone know what the collar is used for?

Second, the original leather is shot and I've been referred to Dallas Wheel to have it restored. Anyone use them before? Thoughts?

Based on the previous discussion here, would this wheel be correct for an early 911 RS?

The COA doesn't state the Six came with a leather wrapped wheel. Would it have originally had the plastic 914 347 803 10 wheel?

IMG_3812.jpgIMG_3808.jpgIMG_3809.jpgIMG_3811.jpg

Nice buy,

The collar is needed on a 914 to close the gap between the wheel and the turn signal switch assembly. I'm pretty sure but don't recall for sure, that the 914-6 needs the collar too. On a 911, the collar is not used, not needed as the steering column has a different design. The collar is held on the four screws (often a little difficult to remove). I believe it is the consensus that some early 911RS had wheels with these early date codes (and part numbers) Thanks.

-Allen-

No collar needed for the 914-6 either same setup as a 911. You need the 911 cancel ring for the 914-6 also, screws into the 2 countersunk holes on the backside.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by orange911 View Post
    I have a 1970 806.10 wheel and I wouldn’t blare my horns (or disconnect power) to take the puck off to prove my point. I’m not suggesting anything about what car the wheel came with, because I picked it up in a box of parts when it was 37 years old. It could be from an RS or a 914/6 when new. Right now it’s on my 72T.

Instead of just providing a canceling ring, why not mount it and charge the extra cost? Probably because it’s not that easy. I recall that adding a canceling ring requires countersinking the mounting points. Even after doing that, I have also read that the hub does not sit flush with the column and there is a little wobble to the wheel. At the end of the day, if I paid that much money for a wheel that wobbles after also having to machine the hub, I wouldn’t be a happy customer.
    An “805.10” wheel comes with countersunk holes. No need to do anything other than attach the cancelling ring.

Regards

Jim