Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any vintage Fiat rear engine fans here ?

any vintage Fiat rear engine fans here ?

Hello all, presenting my 1964 Fiat Abarth 1000TC replica with upgraded 1050cc motor with side draft Weber 40, Abarth deep sump, period toothed belt, big mouth auxiliary oil cooler & radiator up front, rear engine props, and a few other bits. Pls post your rear engine Fiats !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Memories! This goes back a long while.

I bought an early 600 with the big cloth roof as a party car while in high school in the mid 70’s. Bought it from the local Ford dealer, who figured the transaxle was toast because it was stuck in 2nd gear. I took it for a test drive (in 2nd) and drove home and looked underneath, found the linkage was disconnected. Inserted a bolt, drove it around the block to verify that the gearbox was fine, then put it back in 2nd and removed the bolt before driving it back to the dealer to make an offer. Bought it for $50. Once home, I put the bolt back in and drove the dickens out of it for a couple of months until it threw a rod through the side of the block. I called the closest Fiat dealer (75 miles away) and asked about motors. Figured they’d laugh at me, but instead they said Fiat USA was trying to clear 600 parts out of the warehouses, and they offered me a brand new 767cc 600D long block for dirt cheap, just a couple hundred bucks, as I recall.

The 767 totally transformed the car – well, not really. But driving it up hills and overpasses with half a dozen high school kids hanging out of the big sunroof was much easier.

After a year or so, I sold the car to my parents who gave it to my brother when he got his license. He rolled it later that same afternoon…
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Thumbs up

I think I posted this before..... but

When I was a kid in about '67 I got a ride in a real one of these...

FIAT 1600 O.T. …
    This thing hit you so hard it almost picked the front wheels off the ground...It was hard to breath...

Kind'a the same type engine as an Alfa GTA, but in a smaller package, with all the weight in the rear...

This was one of the very first 'semi-production' cars that they were trying a 'duck tail' on...

… I was a VERY fortunate passenger….
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Great stories Arne & Chuck ! Keep em coming please !

This little green beastie was a paddock mate at an event a few years ago... later, I learned it was for sale and reasonably (bargain) priced. 1000TCR Radiale. Shoulda bought it!

Palm Beach Grand Prix 2012 048.jpg

Palm Beach Grand Prix 2012 047.jpg

Palm Beach Grand Prix 2012 040.jpg

Palm Beach Grand Prix 2012 042.jpg

BTW, JB... love your tribute build and especially the license tag with FAZ. Did you search that out in honor of Al Cosentino?
    Last edited by Bullethead; 10-09-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Added question
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Thank you Russ, I lucked out on a pair of DMV cleared Black plates with the FAZ prefix, my tribute to Al !

I liked some interior details on this Fiat Abarth Corsa 1965 replica ...a sheep in wolf's clothing

Bengt
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

Here's my '63 Abarth 850 TC Nurburgring replica :

Based on a correct '63 600 shell (with 'suicide' doors) it was built in Italy using many original Abarth parts.

I've subsequently fitted the correct (black plastic) steering wheel & have sourced the correct gauges (yet to be fitted) - also planning to paint the front bumper/air intake silver & fit a pair of 'period' bucket seats.

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Nice Andy....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Watched a great support race of these Fiats (Seats) at the F1 race at Barcelona in 1969...I was all of 9 years old and I still remember!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100