Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 911 RS Rear Fog light

1972 911 RS Rear Fog light

I am looking for a rear fog light for a 1972 911 RS and need some advice as to what the originals looked like.

There are new lights available from various sources including Porsche Classic for a price in the range of 50 to 100 $.They appear to have a black.
    As an example please see https://www.ebay.de/itm/233341202968.

There are also examples available which have a chrome back and which are more expensive.As an example please see https://www.ebay.de/itm/362432123084.

Can anyone let me know which lights were originally used back in the seventies

Thanks for your help

Info at this post might help.

See post # 7 for my Hella catalog 72/3 with the Hella part also have two nos bnib chrome I might sell if of use.

Separately: Have a later Porsche black one too nos with Porsche box and lens with Porsche part number ( not shown in link)
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...rear+fog+light

S

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Rear fog light mounting

Here a couple of pictures of a rear fog light I have. Mounting bracket has now been bead blasted and needs new plating. I ordered the rear mounting plate from Jim Tidwell to complete the set.

Regards,

Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry Typing error
    Thank you for your help.

So if am right a 1972 rear fog light should be a Hella K 8413 which has a flush mount lens. Hella K8442 and K8415 do not have a flush mount lens. Hella K8403 does also have flush mount lens but may not be correct for reasons unknown to me.
    Last edited by bell 904; 10-14-2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Typing error

Quote Originally Posted by bell 904 View Post
    Sorry Typing error
    Thank you for your help.

So if am right a 1972 rear fog light should be a Hella K 8413 which has a flush mount lens. Hella K8442 and K8415 do not have a flush mount lens. Hella K8403 does also have flush mount lens but may not be correct for reasons unknown to me.
    I have 3 different Hella red rear fog lights with chrome housing available, K 8403, K 8415 and K 8442, but I've never see a Hella K 8413. There is a Bosch red rear fog light with that number.

Bell, the one Cees posted is almost correct. The difference in many of these lights is the ridge along the perimeter on the lens. The original design was without the ridge and later changed with the ridge. I believe they went with the ridge for extra reinforcement because I have seen a couple that have broken. One of mine is broken or the corner.

The mount he has is the hardest part to find. Note the first picture on Cees's post. The mount comes in many different shapes, but you want the one in the picture above. Good luck
    Last edited by orange911; 10-15-2019 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Backwards information corrected
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

And if you haven't found it yet, there is a wiring harness on the 72 tucked away in the rear left bumper that is used for the rear light. You would still need to wire the switch to the fusebox
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Quote Originally Posted by enoz05 View Post
    I have 3 different Hella red rear fog lights with chrome housing available, K 8403, K 8415 and K 8442, but I've never see a Hella K 8413. There is a Bosch red rear fog light with that number.
    Thanks again every one.

From first photo of Post 1 of the following link

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht+differences

I had concluded that there existed a Hella K 8413.If you enlarge the photo it seems quite clear the digits read 8413

Quote Originally Posted by bell 904 View Post
    Thanks again every one.

From first photo of Post 1 of the following link

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht+differences

I had concluded that there existed a Hella K 8413.If you enlarge the photo it seems quite clear the digits read 8413
    When I enlarge the picture, I see the number K8415 on the red lens

Quote Originally Posted by orange911 View Post
    Bell, the one Cees posted is almost correct. The difference in many of these lights is the ridge along the perimeter on the lens. The original design was without the ridge and later changed with the ridge. I believe they went with the ridge for extra reinforcement because I have seen a couple that have broken. One of mine is broken or the corner.

The mount he has is the hardest part to find. Note the first picture on Cees's post. The mount comes in many different shapes, but you want the one in the picture above. Good luck
    Dear Orange 911,

Thank you for your support. Can you post a photo that shows „the ridge on the perimeter“so that can better understand what to look for.

Thank you