Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COA .. is it true no more numbers for motor and transmission??!

COA .. is it true no more numbers for motor and transmission??!

I have a 1969 911T highly original low miles.
    I am fairly confident that the engine and trans are number matching. I do not have a COA or a Kardex. Shoulda done it years ago but, DUH!

And, now I hear the COA no longer comes with the eng / trans numbers.
    I have heard that if I PROVIDE the number of eng / trans then if CORRECT the coa certificate will print those number on the certificate.

True / False ?

I want to know for sure if this is a numbers matching car.
    What is the best way to get this info now?

Thanks for your input.
    Doug

Hi Doug,

I requested mine long before this change was done, but yes, the way you describe it is how i understood it works. You provide all the data, and only if correct they'll confirm it.
    Must have been too many people misusing the information provided. Understandable, but bad in case people like you would hear it isn't correct; you have 0 chance of ever reuniting the chassis with its engine or gearbox....
    Hope it'll come back correct, chances are, if the engine numbers is of the expected type and in the same range as your chassis number, you'll be fine.
    good luck!
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

That used to be how it worked, but as of early this year the process changed again, and they no longer give engine or drivetrain numbers at all on the new PPS/CoA. To verify numbers now you have to have a $500 physical inspection at a Porsche Classic authorized dealer.

Longer explanation here: http://early911.pca.org/showthread.php?t=45
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

OR.... given it is a 69 you could try and get the kardex which is much superior as documentation from someone like davep on this board
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    That used to be how it worked, but as of early this year the process changed again, and they no longer give engine or drivetrain numbers at all on the new PPS/CoA. To verify numbers now you have to have a $500 physical inspection at a Porsche Classic authorized dealer.

Longer explanation here: http://early911.pca.org/showthread.php?t=45
    I was joking with my local dealer about this, I told him to start seeing me show up wanting a $500 inspection on stuff like this, said make sure all your guys are up on Tetnus shots!

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    (...) but as of early this year the process changed again, and they no longer give engine or drivetrain numbers at all on the new PPS/CoA. To verify numbers now you have to have a $500 physical inspection at a Porsche Classic authorized dealer.
    wow, it's a money grabbing exercise. Hell, how am i surprised...

Apologies Doug - i was obviously giving you outdated info.
    Thanks Arne for rectifying.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    wow, it's a money grabbing exercise. Hell, how am i surprised...

Apologies Doug - i was obviously giving you outdated info.
    Thanks Arne for rectifying.
    More than you think. All the Classic Centers will provide service and support to older Porsches, so after they do your $500 inspection, they can take care of anything they find. It's like a cheap oil change, it gets you in the door.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    OR.... given it is a 69 you could try and get the kardex which is much superior as documentation from someone like davep on this board
    Thanks for all the quick input from Patrick , Arne , Adam and Hugh.

Hugh thanks for the Kardex recommendation I will contact DaveP.
    Thanks.
    Doug

Adam
    I was at the launch of the Canadian Porsche classic event a couple of weeks ago. Twelve dealers had spent a year restoring a ‘classic’. Whilst the outcomes were not bad, they were no where near the level of good that so many of our wonderful independent Porsche shops can achieve. Things like incorrect plating. Superseded parts. Etc.,
    What scares me is that the CEO of Porsche Canada was heralding this work as “craftsmanship” and “art”; it is obvious this will, over time, become the accepted norm of what “original” and “quality” is.
    As an example, one of the lead judges was from a non-Porsche restoration shop that recently ‘restored’ a ‘68 911 Sportomatic and the level of attention to detail was not good. For instance, the engine mount hardware, rather than being replated, was painted... with the paint chipping off when they were attached to the car...

Name:  IMG_4157.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  127.3 KB

This is money-making on Porsche’s behalf, but they don’t have the expertise or the attention to detail required.
    Maybe it is different in Europe or the US, but I was really saddened to see this.
    And the new process is just a way to get us to comply...
    Sorry for the rant...
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    More than you think. All the Classic Centers will provide service and support to older Porsches, so after they do your $500 inspection, they can take care of anything they find. It's like a cheap oil change, it gets you in the door.

---Adam
    Last edited by StephenAcworth; 10-14-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added photo to support claim!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616