Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trust but Verify, I broke my own rule. .

Trust but Verify, I broke my own rule. .

I bought a 77S from a well known Porsche builder's partner at night and forgot my paint meter. I live about 45 minutes from Newark so I went for it trusting my "trained" eye. I noticed there was paint work on the rear quarter but had I brought a meter or even better a magnet, I could have saved a lot of money on the purchase. Because the repair was so bad, a magnet was all I needed.

It was blowing lot of smoke and barely running (CIS doesn't like sitting for 5 years) but I brought $17,100 cash and had their friend trailor it home. 128k original miles, not too long ago this was a $7,100 car. But the seller played hardball and wouldn't budge off 17k, I gave him another $100 for doing the deal quickly and setting me up with his friend to trailer it (at an additional $400) to my shop that night.

I promptly got it running well enough and decided to make subtle flares for the rear arches to fit more rubber while I thought about what I'd do with the car and drivetrain.

When I finished making the custom wheel arches and began removing the mostly original paint, my flap disc just kept digging.

I couldn't believe I mist this!

I must admit, this was done by the Michelangelo of Bondo repairs
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Fixer; 10-14-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Never one to accept being defeated. .
    It went back nicely to its original stamping.
    Profile and measurements are good.

It's very straight, the heat from the flap disc (removing bondo) discolors the metal creating the illusion of high and low spots.
    I didnt drill the holes the other guy did. (Hack)
    Last edited by Fixer; 10-14-2019 at 03:20 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I found the name of the real previous owner on a receipt with his phone number. He lives in Pittsburgh and I called and he answered.
    His wife made him sell it and he sold it to the guy I purchased it from for much less money and he also disclosed what had happened to the quarter.
    The car was at the local service station waiting to be inspected and was backed into. No other accidents. He sold it very cheap. He sounded annoyed when I told him what I paid.

I decided it would be okay now to backdate and hotrod the car.

I'm a big ST fan. This will be my "Bandit ST"

I decided to wheel out a roof panel and sunroof delete which net about a 33 pound savings (panel weighs 6.5 pounds). It turned out very well.

I took a set of Danske turbo flares and reshaped them with the correct attitude.
    Last edited by Fixer; 10-14-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Nice! Lemonaid out of a lemon for sure! Looking forward to the rest of the project.
    Jeff Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by mobius911 View Post
    Nice! Lemonaid out of a lemon for sure! Looking forward to the rest of the project.
    Thanks Jeff !

Backdating rear bumper bracket mounts for a big weight savings but tough job (so early steel bumpers bolt up) and backdating the rear crossmember. I'm also seam welding this car.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Excellent work.....!
    Curious on your process for the roof welding, did you fill in additional welds after the photo posted ?
    Thanks for showing the devil in he details for rear panel.
    Looking forward to more progress photos

Thanks
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

subscribed, great work

Yes, I filled it completely but going to different sides not to warp the panel. No daylight. Thank you for the kind words 👍🏼
    Matt
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by nickb4 View Post
    So you fabricated the replacement roof panel on the wheel. That is some very nice work.
    Thank you. I placed a canvas drop cloth on my SWB car without sunroof and could lay my panel on it until it was right.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by JackMan View Post
    subscribed, great work
    Thank you������
    Haverford Pennsylvania