Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Trust but Verify, I broke my own rule. .

The body is very light feeling rolling it out of the shop! But I'm waiting on the front bumper from restoration design and then I can see how to make a front mounted RSR cooler work and finish up with the trunk lid. ✔

I teased the fenders out more and brought the rear quarters inward.

I have some ideas and wanted to avoid notching the latch panel and suspension pan because this is a weak point of the body. I'm looking to mount the large cooler and mod the early steel bumper and trunk lid extension for venting. We shall see!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Nice work Matt!
    It’s fun watching your projects evolve as you implement your vision.

Mark
    1967 911S - 306465
    1980 911SC
    2005 Carrera Cabriolet

Thank you Mark!

Fine tuning needed but this is how I think this connection should be made (and it's just my opinion)..It'll be very durable, morso than butt welding imho and of course the seam won't be seen it'll be welded both sides and leaded. I didnt butt weld bc this is a very vulnerable area of the car that sees stresses from lifting the lid from the leading edge. . Most longhoods I've stripped paint off have big dents here from being backed into too.

Next comes the fun part, I'd like to vent warm oil cooler air up through this cavity rather than down. I'll create a closed space that'll draw air up thru a bumper opening at speed and naturally vent at rest.
    Venting up is better as we all know, venting down creates unwanted lift 👍🏻🏁
    Notching the latch panel as the RSR latch panel was, vents down and I didnt want to cut the pristine latch panel and suspension pan. We'll see if there's room to do what I want here.

In other news I bought an almost complete working MFI system for this build.
    The MFI pump as-is wont deliver enough fuel with the displacement increase, high compression, performance cams (GE80s) and twin plugging so it will be sent off to have its existing space-cam re profiled (by Mark Jung in Oregon) to get the pump output where it needs to be.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

We're both smiling. Sunday work is completed but this Dansk bumper put up a good fight�� (heavy guage) but I got it. It took about 12 plus hours I think. I'm ready to eat.
    Front and rear bumpers bolt up as they should '69-'73.
    Last edited by Fixer; 01-12-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

You have an obscene amount of talent ;-) I can only dream of completing such a project but apparently I'm more suited to signing checks.
    Great thread !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Hey Greg, thank you I'm doing my best.

All bays are full and an emergency repair for a friend so she's out for all to see but under roof.
    Cobies and oatmeal cookies.
    Last edited by Fixer; 01-18-2020 at 06:12 AM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Here's a nice pic.
    I have to lead all seams now..joy.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

There are respirators for heavy metals that everyone should wear and work outside if you can but if inside lower the ppms by venting the space well. You can also set up a fan to blow air away from you.

These respirators aren't expensive (on Amazon) and everybody should also use them when welding too. I'll post the one I use it's like 40 bucks.

The fun stuff begins
    Haverford Pennsylvania

A pleasure to watch someone that knows what they're doing.
    67 911 , 69 911S, Ford V Ferrari 906LH, 85 Carrera...and-gasp! a bunch of Corvettes, Musclecars and Italian crap(330GTC,GTA/M,308GTB)

EarlyS # 603, GroupV #2

Quote Originally Posted by swbstudios View Post
    A pleasure to watch someone that knows what they're doing.
    I'm always learning but thanks.

All set. Nice positive sealing made. This is a situation where being steel or aluminum is nice. I could always fit an aluminum lid down the road after I recover from spending.(I just ordered a full RSR suspension..ouch)

These aluminum brake cooling ducts were essentially free but took me a couple days, they curve in every direction so it was fussy. They're nice and light and a full 2" or 51mm opening.

I'm tinning the seams now for leading being careful to vent the work space and wearing a respirator👍🏼
    Haverford Pennsylvania