Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R hinges

Hugh, also that third car has a red stripe which just can't be seen clearly in the photograph. I saw a factory document on it.

Note though in the photo the driving lights are coming above the bumpers. In the race they are below the bumpers. It would seem that this is an early photo before they departed for the race?

It’s definitive though:
    0009 is 28 with blue stripe
    0008 is 29 with yellow stripe
    0003 is 30 with red stripe
    Last edited by rower; 10-25-2019 at 12:35 AM.

I love you Mr. Tidwell.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

#30 At The Marathon in 1968 with stripe. #28 with painted hinges? Post #16 of #30 shows no stripe and the right side roundel covers the Porsche side stripe. The Marathon cars on the left side allow for the Porsche script to be read. Where was post 16 taken?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by sanders; 10-26-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Another of #30 Name:  #30.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  106.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sanders View Post
    #30 At The Marathon in 1968 with stripe. #28 with painted hinges? Post #16 of #30 shows no stripe and the right side roundel covers the Porsche side stripe. The Marathon cars on the left side allow for the Porsche script to be read. Where was post 16 taken?
    In my opinion, 28 doesn’t have painted hinges. It’s deceiving with the light reflections etc. and why would they have painted them? The bodies were painted before the hinges installed. No other cars had them painted (like the R’s)

Post 16 of #30 does have a red stripe on it. I can agree that it’s not obvious. I believe I can see it. It’s misleading given the reflectivity of the film. Factory notes and the red light on the dash confirm it’s striped red.

It was taken at the marathon. Yes they trimmed the left side of the roundel no doubt so they photographed better. Apparently they didn’t trim the right side. Here’s a photo of 28 showing the right side roundel too also Untrimmed. And that’s a blue stripe with a blue light on the dash. Lights are unique to the night races. If you look at the Monte Carlo rally cars same thing with roundel strummed on drivers side not passengers.
    Last edited by rower; 10-26-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Here’s a press release photo of the 911r in December 1967. Easy to see hinges are unpainted against the white body. GTS and R built by the same werks teams. Why would they have changed? What other metal hardware did they paint?