Thread: 915 shift tower assembly >

915 shift tower assembly >

In rebuilding my 915 shift tower, I noticed that the small arm on the shift lever is positioned too high on the stick to reach (or interact) with the fifth and reverse gate tabs: Is this correct? I don't know how this could be assembled any different, but am wondering why the distance between the arm and the gate tabs. Can anyone clarify?

Name:  915 shifter tower lines.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  27.5 KB
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

Nope, not correct. It's been a while since I've had one of those apart, but something in the pivot box must be assembled wrong.
    Last edited by Arne; 10-19-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Review this: from Sherwood's web site, to get a background of the different parts.

http://www.seinesystems.com/ShiftType.htm
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

I suspect you have standard parts except for a lever that is for a short shift set-up .

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    I suspect you have standard parts except for a lever that is for a short shift set-up .
    I don't think so, Chuck. The longer part on the short shift lever is below the pivot.

I'm thinking that the pivot box or cage inside must not be correctly mounted.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

thanks folks. The assembly inside the box is as simple as can be, and all is symmetric, so you cannot mount anything reverse to create this offset. With all shifters on Sherwood's page, the length between the welded arm and pivot hole is the same. I'll dig further and measure distances.
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

Swisscheese,

Sherwood's documentation photo looks to have three varieties of shift arms - note that the spacing between the bracket and the pivot point hole is different between each example as is the spacing between the pivot and the end ball on each.

Hope this helps.

And a very big thank you to Sherwood for pointing out these complicated differences in his photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    Swisscheese,

Sherwood's documentation photo looks to have three varieties of shift arms - note that the spacing between the bracket and the pivot point hole is different between each example as is the spacing between the pivot and the end ball on each.

Hope this helps.

And a very big thank you to Sherwood for pointing out these complicated differences in his photos.
    Thanks Bob, I'll have a look at Sherwood's info again. I wrongfully concluded the distances between arm/bracket and pivot hole were the same. Will keep you posted as this mystery unfolds...
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

Soo, after having checked Sherwood's info again, especially on the "Blue Printing the 915 shifter", this photo says it all:
    Name:  Screenshot_20191023-120139.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  39.0 KB

The glue came (most probably) loose during the KTL process, but connection was still "sticky" enough not to be detected.. Thanks all for helping!
    Another lesson learned. And indeed: Thanks Sherwood for your thorough research and info!
    Tom
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176