Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spraying Body-Schutz on the fuel tank

Spraying Body-Schutz on the fuel tank

I have been searching for reliable information regarding the proper technique for spraying body schutz on a 1968 911 fuel tank. I have the spray gun and the schutz.

I need to know more about technique parameters such as air pressure; distance between spray gun and tank; and operating temperature.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

We've done a few of them. Not that difficult with a little trial and error. My painter who did my last tank isn't with us any longer but I'll reach out and see if he can recall any of the details. You've got the good grey Wurth product? Not the black stuff that needs to be painted?

yes, i have the good, grey wurth product.

i am working other sources of info, as well.

i am probably being too cautious here, but i really want to avoid another setback with the fuel tank.

I haven’t ordered any Wurth SKS in a year or so but as far as I know grey SKS has not been available for at least 10 years. I run into this constantly, someone says I want to do my tank I have a Shultz gun and some grey Wurth. I ask is it Wurth SKS, the answer is usually I don’t know it’s Wurth and probably SKS so yes. Do you have a Wurth multisprayer? Yes I have a Shultz gun. No I said a Wurth brand “multisprayer”, let me see a picture. They usually show me a pic of a $20 shultz gun. 90% of the time people use the wrong equipment and materials. There was about 2 different colors on tanks 65-71 dark grey SKS, 72-73+ is a much lighter grey. This is not an aging color variation it was a formula change.

The trick is to spray it thin coats, enough volume and pressure it distorts and has lumps, texture if you will, too thick a coat and it will settle and look smooth by the time it dries, you want to let the coats dry a little and then shoot a second coat. The stuff is not totally waterproof so you should paint the tank, (they recommend a top coat of paint) then paint the SKS so really painting the grey correct color on top is not a big deal as it seals the SKS.

You need a “Wurth multisprayer” pressurized can to get the correct texture, should cost over $120 something and Wurth SKS should be over $30 a liter. Everything else is not correct, you are doing it wrong, not original no matter where you bought it. Cheap Shultz guns are garbage compared to a pressurized multisprayer. SKS only comes in black these days unless you guys want to show a picture of a bottle of grey you bought recently. Seriously if you have a better answer then I am game but the only grey SKS is the stuff you paint yourself after spraying black. I would love to buy the grey again. But you would find the old grey available in 2008 and before was not the same color as the tanks, more blue.

Wurth SKS grey is available from England . Mixing grey and black 1 to 1 is a good match for '66 - '71 . I don't like to paint over the SKS , not really the original look . Follow Mark's advice about application - spot -on .

If grey is available then great, wasn’t a year or two ago when I made my last order.

It is not necessary to paint SKS but you should have a finish coat as a base because the SKS is slightly porous.

Here is the gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

How much SKS Stoneguard does it take to finish a fuel tank?
    TIA,
    Fred

Is the SKS applied to a bare metal tank, or can it be applied to a tank that is epoxy coated?

anyone has the item# for SKS .
    product not found on the german,austrian and swiss würth site . very often there assortment differs from country to country. but if you have an item# they can order it.
    TIA
    franz

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    anyone has the item# for SKS .
    Here it is for the Black
    https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-Pr...-Oz/p/08900301

And grey
    https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-Pr...y/p/0892070200
    Note: The grey doesn't say 'SKS Stoneguard' on the can it just says 'Stoneguard'. Don't know if that makes a difference. Both are water based.

Fyi buy it as you need it. The shelf life (on at least the black in the plastic bottle) is not super long especially if sitting in a garage that gets cold.
    Last edited by nickb4; 10-27-2019 at 09:14 AM.