Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with 901 transmission identification

Help with 901 transmission identification

Purchased a 912 couple years ago out of an estate.
    This extra transmission and some other stuff came with the purchase.

It appears to not be a 912 but a 911 transmission
    It was suggested to me that I give the tech forum a try.
    Any thoughts?

Aluminum case
    901.301.101.0R
    Date 49/67

There is no number on the bottom keel of the case...I checked twice .. no serial number anywhere.
    Your thoughts Gentlemen?

Regards.
    Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by wintersurf View Post
    It appears to not be a 912 but a 911 transmission
    Doug, the only visible difference from the outside was the original front mounting hardware.
    It would help to see a full left side view of the transmission.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Will do jon

More photos

More photos

Doug,

The 49/67 date is when the case was cast, in December 67. That would normally mean a 68 transmission, but being un-numbered it might be a replacement case.
    It has the front mounting hardware for a 6-cylinder car, and Löbro axle flanges for an early differential.

To see if it's a 4 or 5-speed, put the transmission in neutral, then twist the front shaft full counter-clockwise and pull on it. Don't use pliers to do this.
    If you can pull on it, full c-c, and engage a gear, then it's a 5-speed. Pushing the shaft into the transmission should engage reverse.

Or you can remove the front cover and tell for certain.

Please don't ask "what's it worth?", there's no telling without an internal inspection.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Jon
    Thank you for your time.
    I will do the 5 speed test as you have described.
    I was holding out some hope that it would be a 912 tranny 5 speed because I have a 4 speed in my 912 and would like to do the 5 speed in it...
    I have a 911t with the 5speed and my brain works overtime trying to recalibrate to the 4 speed pattern in my 912
    vs 5 sp Pattern for the 911T ....

Again thanks so much for your assistance.

Regards.
    Doug
    In Rancho Palos verdes.

Quote Originally Posted by wintersurf View Post
    I was holding out some hope that it would be a 912 tranny 5 speed because I have a 4 speed in my 912 and would like to do the 5 speed in it...
    Doug, that transmission will bolt into any SWB 912 with Löbro axles if you change the front mounting hardware. Also a 912 with Nadellas if you swap the axle flanges.
    It would be complicated to install that transmission in a 69 912.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Doug,

I have '69 902-16 5 Speed in plug and play condition.

Dan

And, that said, I'm sort of looking for a second 5-speed tranny for my '67 911 racecar.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Dan.
    Where do you live?
    PM me
    Thanks
    Doug