Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Fleck . . .

Arthur Fleck . . .

. . . aka JOKER

Really looking forward to this --- Phoenix's performances are always worth watching --- at any ticket price . . . so took Zovig, last week-end. Don't remember seeing any trailers, and not much advertising about this, but, then/again . . .

. . . doesn't really need it

Absolutely over-the-top. Best movie I've seen in 10 years. Really hard to watch in parts --- by turns tense, uncomfortable, nerve-wracking, with these sudden scorching explosions of anger + pain + violence. Some scenes genuinely hurt to watch. And Phoenix is perfectly cast . . . his physicality, intensity, lent to a character played with a wrenching sadness + bitterness . . . all descending

. . . and just in time for Halloween

'I have a condition'

'Nobody likes you, Fleck --- you're wierd!'

'We're all jokers'

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 10-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

. . .

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Indeed, if joachim doesn''t win an Oscar for this performance they may as well no longer bother...
    It really hits a nerve in this day and age where the difference between 'have's' and 'have-nots' increases. And although our cinema here was filled with teenagers that probably expected another standard Marvel superhero movie, they all still stood up and applauded at the end of the movie. Worth every cent this one.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

I saw it this weekend. I thought it was beautifully shot, but slow and boring. I actually was looking at my watch.
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

Thanks for the insight, with differing perspectives. I must get to see it myself.
    I saw "The Irishman" last week, and while it is 3.5 hrs long, it was very good ... elegiac .... a certain moodiness to it, despite the trickery of the anti-aging which i got used to. Joe Pesci was superb in a non-gimmicky performance.
    Best seen in cinema's but on Netflix as of Nov 27th ...
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Ah-Yes . . .

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    . . . our cinema here was filled with teenagers that probably expected another standard Marvel superhero movie, they all still stood up and applauded at the end of the movie . . .
    . . . the end of the movie --- the 'smile'?

Think I cried

So much of what's sold as 'entertainment' these days relies on some sort of fantasy/make-believe or CGI nonsense, to the point where its hard to tell if I'm watching a movie or a cartoon . . . = pretty people behaving incredibly. Hey, it's a business, I get it --- whatever sells 'll work. Prolly why I don't go to the movies so much, anymore. Then/again, what makes Joker different --- and sometimes, so very hard to watch . . . is how cruelly/brutally/in-your-face close it gets. It may be a performance --- but it's all about people . . . and not the pretty ones. And watching Fleck trying to interact is heart-breaking. Most of the 'action' going on is emotional, anyway . . . which isn't what most people go to/expect from the movies . . . and I expect 'll turn a lotta people off

'Member Scorcese's 'Raging Bull'? --- it's kinda like that . . . 'cept I never cried for La Motta

That's fine. Always a lotta comic books to read/watch

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    (...) if joachim doesn''t win an Oscar for this performance they may as well no longer bother...
    A golden Globe already... let's see what the Academy says
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Quote Originally Posted by setho View Post
    I saw it this weekend. I thought it was beautifully shot, but slow and boring. I actually was looking at my watch.
    I felt the same way. Pretty on the screen, and I appreciated the lead performance, but I thought the move itself was terrible.

My wife and I both watched it and when it was over we just looked at each other and said, "WTF"?

A LOT of talent, but relatively few projects worthy of it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWZYc8v3vpg