Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California fires...massive loss @ BENTON performance

All the best to John and all involved, So sorry to read this.

Best Regards

+1 to what Jerry said
    1969 912 tangerine coupe 82K original miles
    1974 911 red targa 71K original miles

Tom Michelsen
    Central Coast Heaven

Shell Beach, California

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Chatted with John last night ... he's surprisingly upbeat considering the circumstances. Obviously he's devastated, but his comment to me was that his primary concern is that his people and clients are taken care of. He's facing forward rather than looking back which is truly the best thing at this point.
    I shared a few texts with him the night he posted. I have known John about 18 years, am glad to consider him a friend, and sometimes even a mentor.

The good news is the main building of the shop is unscathed - so hes not shut down. Though the loss of his warehouse, and all of the contents with in - it will resonate for some time.

You're absolutely right Marco. John is one resilient and determined mother *******. I know few that push as hard as he does, and he always bounces back twice as strong from any set back. He is absolutely looking ahead and he will be bigger than ever.

Keeping John, Brenda, Ian, Val, Eric and the rest of the Benton crew in our thoughts and always wishing for the best for them.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Hi Everyone, John now has a go fund me page. $3 million in irreplaceable cars, matching number drivetrains, tools, and Porsche memorabilia was lost.

"Many have asked how they could help support us during this difficult time. So, I am reluctantly asking you for help, because we humbly need it. Although we have insurance, we do not have enough coverage to get us through a rebuild."

John has given a lot to our community. He has always been one to lend a hand and provide advice. I think now is a great time to pay it forward, pay it back, and help a man who has helped so many of us.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/benton-pe...jwWVSpURvQcT38

Also of interest is a new Road & Track article that sheds a lot of light into what happened, and the current state of things.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...lifornia-fire/
    Harry Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman912 View Post
    . . . $3 million in irreplaceable cars, matching number drivetrains, tools, and Porsche memorabilia was lost . . .
    Stuff like this always feels like a gut-punch --- + it's happened before . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    . . . Impossible to imagine what he's going through right now. At least no one was hurt and hopefully the cars were WELL insured.

A very unpleasant reminder as to how cars are stored, insured, or even... heaven forbid, not insured. (Don't scoff; there are people out there who do not insure their cars at all!)

Personally I could not sleep well without fire suppression systems in all of our buildings
    . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Harry-
    Thanks for the link...
    1969 912 tangerine coupe 82K original miles
    1974 911 red targa 71K original miles

Tom Michelsen
    Central Coast Heaven

Shell Beach, California

Hey guys,

A few of us 912ers got together and decided to make t-shirts as a way to help Benton Performance. The fire was caused by a neighboring business (who is claiming the fire was someone else's fault) and as you can imagine - that’s a battle that’s a going to be locked up for years in courts before John will see any of the insurance money.

He has a go fund me but, a few of us wanted to find additional ways to help. So with the help of Ron Peters who has done a lot of art work for 912 registry events t-shirts and grill badges, we have created the #BentonStrong t-shirt.

This is a pre-order that will run until the end of the year. All proceeds from this go directly to Benton Performance.

John has helped many of us in so many different ways. This is a win for everyone - buy a cool shirt designed by Ron Peters, and help out a friend.

https://rpdesign.bigcartel.com/produ...tion-pre-order

Harry Hoffman