Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Danger, danger Wil Robinson. You and your cars just might be on Google Street View.

Quote Originally Posted by jt912 View Post
    . . . honestly it is far easier to go on a site like this to find out who owns a Porsche than to roam the streets using Google to find the random house . . .
    Hear-hear

What most people think of as 'privacy' is only what you use the law to compel someone to respect

As for anything/everything else? --- well . . .

. . . everybody has a camera

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by jt912 View Post
    Doug, honestly it is far easier to go on a site like this to find out who owns a Porsche than to roam the streets using Google to find the random house which has a Porsche. Not knowing you, I’d bet within an hour I can come up with your address. A minute search showed me you also had a red Porsche and probably live not too far from me. I now know exactly what your house looks like too. This photo look familiar?
    Photo doesn't look familiar.
    And no....I don't have a red Porsche.
    My house is in the country and sits on over 1 acre....not in a box home community like the pic you posted with the red Porsche.
    My Early S signature doesn't even have a location on it...does it?

My other concern besides Google showing your house (and how nice it could be) was the fact that there was one
    of my kids in the pic.
    With all the creeps in today's world, I don't like that info getting out there.

Bottom line, it should NOT be legal for a company to take pics of your personal "private" property and post it on
    the web without your permission.
    That's just what I call decency and right vs wrong.
    Google does it for purely financial (greedy) reasons.

I have no problem with Google photographing public areas, restaurants, parks, etc.
    But people's private property should be off limits.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

For skin nerd and other over thinkers:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    For skin nerd and other over thinkers:
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    I'm of the opinion that sticking your head in the sand like an ostrich just doesn't make much sense either.
    Just so you know....I don't worry or obsess about things like this.
    I take action so I don't need to worry or obsess.
    Then I can enjoy life all I want to at that point.
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924

Quote Originally Posted by skinnerd View Post
    I'm of the opinion that sticking your head in the sand like an ostrich just doesn't make much sense either..
    Agreed. Although that's the way it's done around here...

Hhhh . . .

IMO --- privacy? . . . is about what I keep to myself

To put it Another Way . . .

. . . before you posted this --- how many people would 've even known this was you?

And how many now?

Nothing to do with Ostriches . . . more like magpies

We Can Be Heroes

Fortunately, I live in a gated community. We don't allow the press, GoogleEarth or unauthorized vendors through the gate. This keeps out the first level of riff-raff but not the professional thieves.

Google responded very quickly in my view. Now my entire home including the car, kids in the driveway is all blurred out.

Not going to point out names on this thread, but some responses were really uncalled for and unhelpful....but that's the day and age we live in I guess.
    You can believe and say what you what, but at the end of the day, it's just not OK for a company like Google to be posting images of your private property
    all over the internet without your consent. Happily they resolved my situation in a timely and satisfactory manner. Case closed.
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924

My point of view as a retired IT guy, where part of my duties involved internet privacy and security is that @skinnerd's concern is valid. Google and other internet companies make billions by the unauthorized use of whatever personal info they can scavenge. Staying silent is almost as good as giving them permission.

I'm mildly surprised at how quickly Google dealt with it. Not that they acceded to the request, but the speed of the response. Better than I would have expected.

On the other hand, Google street view's potential privacy issues pales in comparison to what millions of people give away voluntarily on Facebook and the like...
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Arne....I agree completely.

The amount of "data" that Google, Facebook, etc get for virtually free is staggering.
    And then they turn around and sell it, our information and data....all of this without getting our permission or compensating us.
    Most folks are pretty clueless about this....head in the sand as I said before.
    People that go along with all this mindlessly will be just fine in the new authoritarian, serveilling society that is quietly growing up around us all.

Welcome to the "new world."
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924