Thread: Europe Trip, Just Thinking

Europe Trip, Just Thinking

Need some help from this group. At this point, I am just thinking about how I might accomplish a visit to Europe with my car. Will figure out the shipping to and from the US as my thinking progresses. The idea would be to find a central location for trips to races I have always wanted to see; Monaco and classic Monaco in May, LeMans, Spa, Monza,and maybe Hungary and Barcelona for the F1. This puts me somewhere central Europe, maybe France or Germany. Need to get by with my lack of romance languages, though I suppose I could put my mind to studying some French or German. Also hook up with some 911 events and generally have a good time using the old 911 on great roads. Also would need to figure out a good local shop just in case.

So, looking at the map maybe a small town near Strasbourg, Stuttgart, Munich, Berne, Luxembourg, ??? Would look to VRBO or some such platform to find a 5 month rental. In the '80's I did a project in Wuerzburg and sense a town of that size might good. So, with that little info, let me know your thoughts.

My Inspiration

'86 44 Turbo, black/red,7's and 8's fuchs, autothority - sold (rocketship)
    '97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

'69 912, 3.2 with all the trimmings
    (finally got air cooled)
    Early 911S Registry Member 2044

In Italy, there's a town just east of Milan, called Bergamo.
    its a town on the edge of the mountains. and a old castle town on a hill.
    (you can actually stay in the old castle town, inside the walls, or just outside of it too)
    the north side of the town is unreal.

It is very close to monza, and close to alfa museum, ferrari museums, lambo, and ducati, It has a car event in town too.
    it is very close to Como, it is very close to stelvio pass and the AMAZING roads in the swiss and italian mountains.
    it is very close to Mille Miglia.

i am trying to do about 4 events in may this 2020.

it is close to Monaco, and in range of barcelona, and venice.
    In may, there is monaco, Hist monaco, Mille Miglia, and early june, le mans 24, and revival, (a motorcycle thing at monza)
    and not far from Gmund.

because you will have to fill your time between races. the museums are great.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Ready for the Hunaudières manu72S's Avatar
    Hello David,

24h Le Mans june 13th 14th

Le Mans classic july 2,3,4,5th

Manu

At my town a space in an underground parking is 35€/month but it's shared by a lot of people. Mostly classic or sports cars.
    It looks like a pyjama party as nearly all cars have covers on them. Porsche quota is 20%.
    Very good porsche Workshop would be nearby - they perhaps might be able to offer storage too, but this would be accessible only during business hours.

Grazie
    Been looking at the VRBO listings for Bergamo and the surrounding area. Looks great. 10 hours to LeMans, 12 to Zandvort, 4 to Monaco. Great suggestion. Thank you Scott. Got me really thinking now.

My Inspiration

'86 44 Turbo, black/red,7's and 8's fuchs, autothority - sold (rocketship)
    '97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

'69 912, 3.2 with all the trimmings
    (finally got air cooled)
    Early 911S Registry Member 2044