Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sonderwunsch . . .

I have a Kardex for a 30171x car with a 6607 paint code and leather interior; this was in early June and well before any other car with a 66 paint code. Special customer.
    I have a Kardex for a 59 coupe where the Tachometer and speedometer were changed; to what or how I have yet to learn.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I have a Kardex for a 30171x car with a 6607 paint code and leather interior; this was in early June and well before any other car with a 66 paint code. Special customer.
    I have a Kardex for a 59 coupe where the Tachometer and speedometer were changed; to what or how I have yet to learn.
    my 350286 (912) also had a 66 paint code and leather interior

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Why “Special Customer”?
    64/65 was an unique year for paint, since for 901/911 the 356 colors were continued to be used. Spring 1965 the 912 officially got introduced and a new paint color chart for both 911/913 was available , by May 1965.

6607 is indicated as Standard Color in below Color Chart (dated 5.65) so I assume, by then available for a late Model Year 1965 car. This Color Chart then was used for Model Year 1966 as well.

Name:  B6165A87-32A0-4AD4-9DB4-5ADE7C4EF0EA.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  6FADAEF5-EC76-407D-ABF3-3624894A1FC2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  73.5 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 11-13-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    my 350286 (912) also had a 66 paint code and leather interior
    I would like to see the Kardex on this car. Can you provide a photo of the paint badge and one of the dash also? I have yet to get proof of a 1965 model year body(dash) with a 1966 paint code except for some RHD cars. Leather in a 912 was quite rare, so most certainly a customer ordered car.

For me the perfect definition of a sonderwunsch cars are the 356's know as the Schmidt cars. These cars were heavily customized way beyond special paint and interior colors per the owners request. Example of one of these cars can be found here https://corianiandrea.wixsite.com/53456

Karim, I do not disagree about the existence of the paint chart, and thus the possibility of ordering a 1966 Model Year color choice for a 1965 MY car. The charts would have to be prepared in advance of the new MY so that the marketing team could get the information out to salesmen in time to get orders for the new MY cars. Still, such a "next MY color" would not be in serial production and thus would qualify as a "special" option paint. There would be some limits to the spread of knowledge of the new colors. I'm sure there would be some early sample bodies for marketing to accept.
    The 3017xx car above was an internal sale (WV) to a supplier to Porsche (I was told this, the Kardex had the lower half of the image cut off).

The first 912's were being invoiced late March and early April, so definitely produced in late March; I have Kardex for 350001 & 450001. But these were the few 1965 MY cars with 64xx codes and flat knee pads. The 66 MY cars with 66xx codes and U-shaped knee pads generally came together being invoiced in September. Those with knowledge of the new colors might have been able to order a car with the new codes as early as April. The color program would have been decided well in advance of the printing. When the new color chart came out in May, I an certain the choices could be made. But only a few colors were new. I can imagine that the unchanged colors would still be painted using the old code until some chosen changeover date. What that date was I don't know. A look at the Reutter books would certainly help clear that up. Naturally the whole confusion over the 1965 and 1966 model years is wrapped up in this. The factory has not provided a definitive changeover date that I know of.

I now have three Kardex with a rubber stamp note for Sonderwunsch. The stamp has a serial # handwritten after it; so far I have 064, 250 and 259
    "Sonderwunsch ausserh cer M-Liste No: "
    These are all 1968 cars.

Special Wishes or not it's a Special Car

With respect to the S spoiler I've never seen another one. Note, the TTG's too which while not unusual didn't show up regularly on 911's here until about 15 years ago. I worked on this car with the current owner in the early 80s' and all of this stuff was intact, not added one after the fact.

Other tidbits were the ST tank, ammeter and voltmeter mounted in the glove box door which were not installed by a wannabe car electrician. It's still one of the most loaded 911-S's I've run across. The owner was a well known Porsche hot rodder "of means" from our neck of the woods who always had "cool stuff". I only wish I had been around when the Schrick Slide Valve Injection setup left the building and REALLY should have bought his M3 EVO III.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

That's a beautiful car...

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    For me the perfect definition of a sonderwunsch cars are the 356's know as the Schmidt cars. These cars were heavily customized way beyond special paint and interior colors per the owners request. Example of one of these cars can be found here https://corianiandrea.wixsite.com/53456
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616