Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 911 T Maine Barn Find Original Owner

1973 911 T Maine Barn Find Original Owner

I picked up a 1973 911T that I bought sight unseen yesterday. It was as promised. I am calling it a barn find because it hadn’t been driven since 2008 and was covered in dust tucked away in the corner, but it was no barn. I was told that it was sitting in garage of “the nicest house in Maine”. The PO was a great seller and person in all respects. He bought it in June of 1974 as a 25 year birthday present for himself. It’s all original with 118k miles. He brought it to Denver and other places he lived around the country. He had a fresh oil change in 2008, drove it 100 miles and then parked it. Just washed it and figuring out next steps. I think I will freshen it up, but drive it as a survivor staying true to OEM in all ways, until I get a feel for next steps. Name:  994E13ED-261F-4E55-B23A-EC0175387404.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  96.5 KB

Great find. Enjoy the originality. Do you know where the car was purchased? Presently there is only one Porsche dealer in Maine (Morong in Falmouth). Back in 1973 there was Pine State in Bangor.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

I have the original receipt and will check but I think it may have been Falmouth MA. One of the interesting things on the receipt is that he paid $100 for a Tuff Coat undercoating. Maybe that makes it lose originality points but it seems to have done its job really well. Nothing but grey down there. I have been over most if the car and find only a few rust bubbles in the paint mostly driver side fender. The paint code is 936 Silver Metallic.

Original purchase documents are fairly rare. Was the car purchased out of the showroom, or was it ordered? Documenting this car would be very useful.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Man that’s cool. Love hearing those stories of those ones hidden away. Most certainly keep it as a survivor. Looks like you wouldn’t have to do to much to it anyhow. Can’t wait to see more of it.

member #1515
    What was his reason for never driving it after 2008?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Glorious and well found - look forward to reading more as your journey develops... is it a CIS 73.5?
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Yes, instead of receipt I should said original sales contract from the dealer. It also has an owners manual and a leather passport looking service book, some service bills, lots of old Maine registrations up to 2008, and a CT title, from when he lived there, original tool kit, and a dead mouse that was on the rear carpet, but he at least matched the color.

I asked him why he parked it in 2008 and he said his local mechanic that he really liked closed up shop, and then he never bothered after that. But that doesn’t seem like reason enough if you have a passion, so maybe the real reason may have just been losing interest, he has a lot going on.

Yup it’s a 1973.5, CIS seems just like the FI system on a BMW 1985 K100 that I just used as a donor bike for a custom build I just finished, with the airflow vane. That would make the 911 way ahead of it’s time.