Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 1973 911 T Maine Barn Find Original Owner

Also discovered that there is no fuel filter available for 1973.5s. Pelican says they discontinued the kit to convert to 1974-1975 filter.

Nice job!!
    Congratulations on your victory.

How pure is pure? Since this car is bone stock original everything with 118k miles and no rebuild, my current plan is to just do light restoration over the winter, drive it for a while and see where I go but probably keep it as a survivor. I still have some diagnostic work to do but pretty sure I will do cam chain tensioners this winter. If I want preserve it’s maximum value in the purist/original survivor market, what is optimal from a value perspective- replace with original cam chain tensioner? Or Carerra upgrade? Will those extra oil lines be a party foul? think I know what I want to do, but interested in how this market thinks.

member #1515
    After sitting for so long, I'ld do the tensioners ASAP. They tend to fail when left sitting round. You can use the 930 updated tensioners if you want to keep it without the lines. The Carrera tensioners are more the safest now.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Carrera tensioners don't show that much, and everyone knows why they are there. Just save the old chain case covers in case you or some later owner ever feels the need to go back to original.

In fact, if you really intend to drive it, I'd use that model for most any upgrade to the car. Do what is needed to make it fun, reliable and safe. Just keep the old parts.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    What was his reason for never driving it after 2008?
    After I started it up I discovered why he may have parked when his old shop closed up. Intermittent clank on rpm decel, purrs on level RPM, or accelerating rpm.
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

Upgrade It Is

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Carrera tensioners don't show that much, and everyone knows why they are there. Just save the old chain case covers in case you or some later owner ever feels the need to go back to original.

In fact, if you really intend to drive it, I'd use that model for most any upgrade to the car. Do what is needed to make it fun, reliable and safe. Just keep the old parts.
    Good idea - will do. thanks
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

Resurrecting this thread with some questions after racking up a couple thousand miles. First off, these are unbelievably fun cars to drive! Way more fun than 300 HP car because you can actually get out of 2nd gear and wind them up a little - though I am chicken to touch 6k for more than a second until I get a rebuild. I have a lot of technical questions that I will post in the tech forum, but had some originality questions that belong on this thread for the background. I did the Carrera tensioner upgrade and the ramps were about to fall apart so that was great advice to replace right away. I am at 120K, 8% leakdown on all but cyl 3 at 35% - can hear the leak through oil filler so bad rings on cyl3, I get blue smoke on start, and on decel, leaks oil too. Will do rebuild this winter and am researching parts/planning. My question is about originality and market value. I am expecting to need new pistons (Mahle 84V58) unique to 1973.5 domed for CIS. It seems like the only option is JE Pistons? Would that impact originality and value? Boring up to 2.7 seems like an option where pistons are plentiful, but that really doesn't feel right if you want originality - guessing this would impact value too? thanks also a recent pic all cleaned up. I think I have fixed 102 things so far.Name:  IMG_2564.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  158.2 KB
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

What I should have asked

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenstrips View Post
    Resurrecting this thread with some questions after racking up a couple thousand miles. First off, these are unbelievably fun cars to drive! Way more fun than 300 HP car because you can actually get out of 2nd gear and wind them up a little - though I am chicken to touch 6k for more than a second until I get a rebuild. I have a lot of technical questions that I will post in the tech forum, but had some originality questions that belong on this thread for the background. I did the Carrera tensioner upgrade and the ramps were about to fall apart so that was great advice to replace right away. I am at 120K, 8% leakdown on all but cyl 3 at 35% - can hear the leak through oil filler so bad rings on cyl3, I get blue smoke on start, and on decel, leaks oil too. Will do rebuild this winter and am researching parts/planning. My question is about originality and market value. I am expecting to need new pistons (Mahle 84V58) unique to 1973.5 domed for CIS. It seems like the only option is JE Pistons? Would that impact originality and value? Boring up to 2.7 seems like an option where pistons are plentiful, but that really doesn't feel right if you want originality - guessing this would impact value too? thanks also a recent pic all cleaned up. I think I have fixed 102 things so far.Name:  IMG_2564.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  158.2 KB

Does anyone have 1973.5 NOS pistons that they would not mind parting with/ sending to a good home? Rings too? Thanks
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

Congratulations,
    It looks just SENSATIONAL!
    More pictures if you get a chance?