Thread: HELP! Need Marchal Alternator Rebuilt

HELP! Need Marchal Alternator Rebuild

Hi All,
    So, I've got a bad diode in my (low milage) rebuilt Marchal alternator. Can anyone either point me to a GOOD rebuilder, parts source, OR a source for quality rebuilt units?
    I'm running an external VR and would prefer something that is a direct replacement for Marchal and fits into the shallow fan housing.

THANKS!!!
    Kent
    Last edited by kentf14; 11-14-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Hi, Kent -

I would be interested to know this as well. I exhausted all the local (Denver) shops - none of them are interested at all, it's all "swap old for new", with no regards to appearance. This might sound silly, but I want a solid shaft, so I can put a yellow inspectors mark there. The Valeo I just put on my car is counter-bored.

- Rob

A local shop in Ft. Worth does ours, but that doesn't help you guys. "Fort Worth Starter and Generator" The name should tell you how long they've been in business !!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi, Ed -

Thanks for the tip. I will contact these folks. In the Porsche resto world, shipping stuff is normal, for me at least!

- Rob

Thanks Ed.
    I'm stopping by https://www.rite-wayelectric.com this week and will report back on what they say. This shop came recommended and seemed to know what i was talking about when I gave them a call. Can't say the same for several other local "alternator shops".
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

I went by https://www.rite-wayelectric.com today to check out whether they would be able to rebuild my Marchal. As i walked through the door, one of the guys looked up from what he was doing, saw me carrying the alternator and said "Porsche or Roller" The other guy saw me and said "He doesn't look like a Roller guy, that's Porsche"
    The place is loaded with shelving units filled with hundreds of clean alternators and starters ready to go. They happened to have an in house rebuilt Marchal on the shelf for me ($338 with core trade in and tax). They will rebuild for you as well.
    Super nice and knowledgeable guys. Haven't used the alternator yet, but recommend the shop.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

Quote Originally Posted by kentf14 View Post
    I went by https://www.rite-wayelectric.com today to check out whether they would be able to rebuild my Marchal. As i walked through the door, one of the guys looked up from what he was doing, saw me carrying the alternator and said "Porsche or Roller" The other guy saw me and said "He doesn't look like a Roller guy, that's Porsche"
    The place is loaded with shelving units filled with hundreds of clean alternators and starters ready to go. They happened to have an in house rebuilt Marchal on the shelf for me ($338 with core trade in and tax). They will rebuild for you as well.
    Super nice and knowledgeable guys. Haven't used the alternator yet, but recommend the shop.
    They have been there for ever. Good guys!

I have the same question, but looking for someone near Long Beach.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA