Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford Vs. Ferrari

Thumbs up

I liked movie, it was very emotional for me. from beginning to end.
    but I would really like to see the movie of what made Ferrari in the last 50s early 60s ...or Porsche. that is the movie I want to see. Pre McQueen Le Mans.
    All the back story, their struggles and achievements and characters.
    I agree with Scott... And I did like the movie... But LOTS of history and back stories for sure... Like:

Almost 10 years before Miles and Shelby became a team, Miles dominated the SCCA F-Modified class with his homebuilt ‘Flying Shingle’ somewhat styled from a ’54 MG TF …

A VERY cool and outrageous 1955 CA. hotrod influenced road race car !!!!!

- The ’54 MG TF
    - The ‘Shingle’
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Almost 10 years before Miles and Shelby became a team, Miles dominated the SCCA F-Modified class with his homebuilt ‘Flying Shingle’ somewhat styled from a ’54 MG TF …
    ...and then he drove Porsche Spyders for Johnny von Neumann and Otto Zipper...

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I've seen the film yesterday, and I was disgusted by the sounds - ok I don't know whether this was only in german synchro - already even in the first few seconds - cars that brake in the wet don't sqeal like that. Also I do handle a large Snap-On spanner on a regular basis without making it sound like a samurai sword...

The film was nice but the cars were so stable - they never are in real life...

I guess there's something wrong with me, I walked out after about 45 minutes. Except for the guy who played Ferrari, not much else appeared convincing to me. I'm sure Ford II cried after being driven in the F-40 by Shelby, but sobbing to that degree?
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

I am a sucker for any positive depiction of a father and son relationship, and likewise the depiction of a positive, supportive wife. Both may be fantasy, but they resonate with me...so I was pleasantly surprised and moved by these "dramatic" elements. Loved all the cars and the re-creation of the 60's, accepted the inaccuracies of moviedom willingly and enjoyed, for once, the earth-shaking sound effects, since they were car sounds and not the ubiquitous and banal sounds of violence, murder and mayhem in the trailers preceding the feature film. BTW, cars in Hollywood have been squealing their tires on sand, dirt, water, carpet, mid-air and what have you, for many decades. We learn to ignore the ignorance.
    Mike O'Meara
    Reg #1043
    72 911T
    56,59 356s gone
    67,68 912s gone

I went with a group of guys from a full fledged soup to nuts British restoration shop whose owner closed early and paid for everyone including popcorn and a drink. There were about 15 of us. Thanks Mike! www.gassmanautomotive.com

We went to the matinee and had the whole back row to ourselves and the theater wasn't anywhere close to capacity.
    Afterwards, I didn't hear any grousing. It was "a movie" based on some facts and I know a willing suspension of disbelief is necessary if any enjoyment is to be had at ANY movie. I go to the movies to be entertained.

"Shelby American" was released on Nov. 22nd. Good and historically accurate although they glossed over the finish a bit. I saw the rubber meet the road in another flick on Thursday evening: 8 Meters: Triumph, Tragedy and a Photo Finish at Le Mans
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhiWRTDZ7-E In this one, Miles purportedly approached Charlie Agapiou and uttered: "I think we've been f$k!ed." He was and Shelby later admitted disappointment over his decision. The Triple Crown was lost.

I am no movie critic. As for Rotten Tomatoes or any of the other internet/newspaper/blog reviews I base my choices on Audience Reviews. The Critics can blow all the hot air they wish as it won't sway me one way or the other.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

hmm - so many critical voices? I really enjoyed it a lot. Great acting (Bale), good story, and 60s racing atmosphere - I am not looking for details that don't fit. McQueens Le Mans is full of those - but don't we love it anyway?
    LOOKING FOR SERVICE BOOK No 2361
    1968 Karmann Coupe 2.0 tangerine
    1993 Ducati 750 SS

Quote Originally Posted by John912 View Post
    I guess there's something wrong with me, I walked out after about 45 minutes. Except for the guy who played Ferrari, not much else appeared convincing to me. I'm sure Ford II cried after being driven in the F-40 by Shelby, but sobbing to that degree?
    John..

I get what ur saying..I enjoyed the film....but it didnt hit a sweet spot 4 me

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    I went with a group of guys from a full fledged soup to nuts British restoration shop whose owner closed early and paid for everyone including popcorn and a drink. There were about 15 of us. Thanks Mike! www.gassmanautomotive.com

We went to the matinee and had the whole back row to ourselves and the theater wasn't anywhere close to capacity.
    Afterwards, I didn't hear any grousing. It was "a movie" based on some facts and I know a willing suspension of disbelief is necessary if any enjoyment is to be had at ANY movie. I go to the movies to be entertained.

"Shelby American" was released on Nov. 22nd. Good and historically accurate although they glossed over the finish a bit. I saw the rubber meet the road in another flick on Thursday evening: 8 Meters: Triumph, Tragedy and a Photo Finish at Le Mans
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhiWRTDZ7-E In this one, Miles purportedly approached Charlie Agapiou and uttered: "I think we've been f$k!ed." He was and Shelby later admitted disappointment over his decision. The Triple Crown was lost.

I am no movie critic. As for Rotten Tomatoes or any of the other internet/newspaper/blog reviews I base my choices on Audience Reviews. The Critics can blow all the hot air they wish as it won't sway me one way or the other.
    did u ever say if u liked it?...Im confused?