Thread: Batteries and Storage Question

Batteries and Storage Question

Due to limited garage space at my house I rotate storage of my 2 911’s in a nearby secured storage unit. About every 2-3 weeks I switch the cars. One thing I don’t have at the storage unit is access to electricity in order to use a battery tender so the cars sit for a few weeks at a time. Both cars have the standard two battery set up; one has new Shonneschein gel batteries, the other has standard batteries (I don't exactly remember what they are).

I’m assuming that the battery life will be shorter in both cases as a result of them sitting for periods of weeks without use. So far every time I’ve gone switch a car they fire up and I’m good. I’m wondering of there is anything I should to to keep the batteries as healthy as possible and I’m also curious about lithium batteries. Are they a good option in my situation (cost aside)?

Thanks.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Keep doing what you are doing,replace batterys every 5 years,no tender needed, i have been doing this for years with great success
    registry #2072

There are solar panels for 12volt batteries if you have access to sunlight, they cannot charge dead batteries but will keep them topped off.
    Current fleet, mostly rubbish automobiles and other assorted junk.

I totally agree that laying up your cars for (up to) three weeks without a tender will not cause any harm whatsoever. I’ve been doing this since the Nixon administration.

Alan
    N.J.
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

What I do in addition is disconnect the ground straps. They are attached by wing nuts, so it's a 30 second process.
    Jeff Jensen

Thanks men. Sounds like I’m ok with my current program.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Yo Nick.
    I just picked up a set of ground straps with cutoffs in the terminals. A quick turn of the knob will cutoff your batteries and eliminate any current drain. I’m also agreement with the others that a few weeks won’t hurt anything.

https://www.kroonwireharnesses.com/g...Ground%20strap

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306