Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Product Review - Sierra Madre (Dansk?) Lightweight Taillight Assebly Set

Thumbs down Product Review - Sierra Madre (Dansk?) Lightweight Taillight Assembly Set

My original tail light housings were giving me trouble with poor grounding of the bulbs, because the bulb sockets were so sloppy fitting that the bulbs were rattling loose. Rather than trying to engineer a solution with my existing parts, I decided to take a chance on a pair of SMC's "lightweight" (i.e. plastic) replacement housings. I figured new housings with new bulb sockets and bright chrome finish would be nice, if they fit. And the weight savings at the very rear of the car could be considered a plus as well, the pair for just over half the cost of a single Bosch unit.

https://sierramadrecollection.com/ta...89-p24168.html

When they arrived I started looking them over closely. Plain white boxes with no logos or manufacturer info. After unboxing, I found no indication of who made them, nor the country of origin. The included new bulbs were German-made Osram. Recently I saw a listing for lightweight plastic taillights in a Dansk catalog, the images look like the same part, but I still don't know where they were made.

At first glance, they looked reasonable. The wiring was unfinished and needed some adaptation, but that was mentioned in the description. The lights were not designed for US models, there is no socket for the small side marker bulb, and instead of a reflex reflector where the side marker would be there was just a clear diffuser.

Then I installed them.

The wiring was not difficult, and as hoped, the bulbs worked flawlessly even if I bounced them around hard. Since the housings are plastic, separate ground wires to each socket are necessary. Electrically, they worked as I had hoped.

But fitment was extremely poor. The shape (curve) of the housings did not match that of any of the tail light lenses I had on hand. I thought that perhaps mounting them in the car might pull the shape a bit closer, but even after fiddling with them numerous times, I was never able to get the fit good enough for the lenses to seal. I worked with them on and off over a couple of months, unsuccessfully.

Pros: Lightweight, reliable function, shiny chrome reflectors.

Cons: Extremely poor fit, wiring adaptation needed, no side marker capability.

Dealing with SMC on this has been a somewhat mixed bag. I felt that since these were electrical parts (which are typically not returnable) that had clearly been installed, SMC probably wouldn't take them back. I had purchased them knowing it was a gamble, and I had lost. But in an effort to save others from the same fate, I left an objective review on SMC's page. After clicking 'Save' it told me my review was queued for administrator approval. I waited a few days, the review never showed up. So I tried again. Same thing. The reviews—which warned potential buyers of the poor fit—never showed up.

This annoyed me, as while it was possible that the review system might not be working, I assumed it was also quite possible that negative reviews were simply not being posted. So I sent them an email, noting my dissatisfaction with the product, and expressing my unhappiness that the reviews were apparently being censored.

I received a prompt reply offering a store credit on their return, no discount or restocking fee. Very simple, and the return and credit went smoothly.

So in the end, SMC did make good by accepting a return. I will add that the negative reviews I submitted have still never been posted, however.
    Last edited by Arne; 11-17-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo correction
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I bought a set from Atlanta, Georgia several years ago. They were plastic junk too. Sent a request for a return, because of poor fit. Never heard back from them! They were shinny and all. I still have them. Don’t recall a mfg. or country of origin. I think I lost 90.00 bucks or so, plus shipping. I see, at times, usually the later years 911 tail lights up for sale & believe they would be the better alternative. Should have given you your $$ back though ......cliff
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

The couple of parts that I have bought from SMC have been "junk".I would not buy from them ever again.

David

I wonder how long before this thread is deleted.

Note sent to SMC for a response...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

The more interesting question is why is there such poor fit of modern bulbs in OEM Porsche 1960s tail light housings? I have encountered this problem as well. It seems impossible that the sockets have widened over time. I likewise find it hard to imagine that specs have changed so modern bulb bases with a given spec are narrower than in the 1960s. But it must be one or the other, no?
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Good morning Guys,

No need to delete this thread. It is true, these taillight housings do have some issues and they are not for everyone.
    We have carried them and sold them for many years as an alternative to the very expensive and rare originals. We do appreciate
    the feedback and I will have the listing reworked to more accurately describe the product.

Jorge Perez
    Sierra Madre Collection
    Direct: 323.458.6310 Main: 323.593.4300
    1669 Colorado Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90041

I ordered front and rear from a authorized Porsche dealer about 10 years ago. The fronts were the plastic housing type and I had never seen them before. They were a horrible fit, and as you tightened the housing it twisting the housing and you can imagine how well the lens fit. The dealer took them back. Total rubble.... And they were the same price as the metal housing at the time.

I just noticed that one of my 2 reviews did finally post today.
    Last edited by Arne; 11-18-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Probably too late to try now, but noticing the flat areas to work with on the housing, Jb weld and aluminum atop and bottom, could help prevent flexing. Carried further, U shaped brackets that bent over the top and bottom [ of the housing, might give the needed rigidity.

Name:  143318.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  60.2 KB