Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Product Review - Sierra Madre (Dansk?) Lightweight Taillight Assebly Set

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I just noticed that one of my 2 reviews did finally post today.
    Can you make a picture of the two housing (OEM and plastic) together to compare them and try to understand where the differences are.
    Maybe it is the new gasket too hard to let a perfect fitting lens and body.

The difference is metal vs. plastic. Plastic will not hold it's rigidity.
    62S-R-S, If you attempt to cobb up some type of bracing system, then the assembly will not slide into the opening for the light housing. As I remember the plastic housings were the same price as the real deal. Why would you want to spend several hundred dollars on a new part and then spend time to try to make it work.
    Most people on this board , like myself are those who seek to always use original parts as the car was delivered.

Forgot to mention, look at the wiring loom coming out the back side of the housing. K Mart style, not Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by italux View Post
    Can you make a picture of the two housing (OEM and plastic) together to compare them and try to understand where the differences are.
    Maybe it is the new gasket too hard to let a perfect fitting lens and body.
    Sorry, no. The plastic housings were returned several weeks ago.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    The difference is metal vs. plastic. Plastic will not hold it's rigidity.
    62S-R-S, If you attempt to cobb up some type of bracing system, then the assembly will not slide into the opening for the light housing. As I remember the plastic housings were the same price as the real deal. Why would you want to spend several hundred dollars on a new part and then spend time to try to make it work.
    Most people on this board , like myself are those who seek to always use original parts as the car was delivered.
    Metal is the preferred material. I had the impression plastic housings were a fun friendly price of $79 ea. vs. original. Aase lists SWB housings > @$1500. Unless you make your own parts, there is no way to have moderate level pricing nowadays.

I have plastic in my race cars. Fit is very good not perfect but well worth the weight loss.
    I'd put it in a street car as it saves close to 5lbs
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

has anybody tried the ones from Design 911 in the UK ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    Forgot to mention, look at the wiring loom coming out the back side of the housing. K Mart style, not Porsche.
    Yes, the wiring is rather cheesy, but wiring is not that hard to correct and rework.

Quote Originally Posted by Fubawu View Post
    I have plastic in my race cars. Fit is very good not perfect but well worth the weight loss.
    I'd put it in a street car as it saves close to 5lbs
    I think these would have been fine for a race car. For my purposes with my street car, 5 lbs. (2.2 kg) is immaterial, and not at all worth the poor fit. There would have been no way to keep dirt and moisture out of these housings, given that I do drive in the rain, and the lens-to-housing fit was so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by zundfolge View Post
    has anybody tried the ones from Design 911 in the UK ?
    I have not, nor have I seen any of those here in the US.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic