Thread: Trip to LA to visit engine rebuilding vendors, Ollie's, Web-cam.

Trip to LA to visit engine rebuilding vendors, Ollie's, Web-cam.

While this is not a round-the-world trip, it was still fun.

I wanted to visit as many of the vendors as I could that were so helpful during last Winter's rebuild of my 2.7 twin-plug 10.5:1 S motor for my "looks like an" RS. It's actually a '72 T that a West-Coast comedian (not named Jerry) had a Bay-area shop doctor up to look like what he interpreted to be a Carrera RS. I have spent years re-doing the trans, the engine, the interior, and lots of other crazy stuff. The car still looks like an RS, but it has coilovers and a way badder engine than an RS one.

I confess I wimped out and had my car shipped to Las Vegas. I wanted to go here, since it's close to Lake Havasu City, home of the famous Ollie's Machine Shop. They worked over my case (boat-tailed webs, oil bypass mod), heads, cam housings, turned my flywheel into an RSR one, knife-edged my crank, and balance the whole deal.

But first, one stop had to be made just outside of Las Vegas: Hoover Dam. "Dam nice" picture, eh?

Here are Zack and Tim checking out their work in the finished product form. They Never have customers come to see them with their cars!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I forgot one small detail. To get from Las Vegas to Lake Havasu City, you have to burn it across the desert for 80 miles. 90 seems to be normal on this road. I went 95. The car was smooth as silk! Here, I have to give a shameless plug to my tire guys here in Boulder, CO: Barnsley Tire. A week or so before this trip, I had them fix me up with new rubber all around, balanced to the gram, of course!

Web-Cam was also on the visit list. It is interesting, they have been in business for probably 60 years. All the walls of their offices are totally paved with pictures and magazine covers with their customers testimonials. They reground my cams into nice, fresh "S" profiles. I have included a picture of their cam grinder. Just so you know, the stone stays put and the axis of the machine moves in and out. The cam being ground is for a one-cylinder, but the process is the same for my cams, for example.

I also brought with me some of my acorn nuts for 356 over-riders that I had CND'd some years ago. I told Willhoit Restoration that I would hand deliver them, which, or course included the nickel tour of his excellent work.

Next up was a driving tour North of LA. My friends here moved out of Topanga Canyon, so I had to drive down it. Also, I had to drive up the coast a bit North of Malibu. It was a great relief from driving on the 405!

Lastly, I heard that Mulholland was a fun drive, of course I did it!

- Rob

Wow - that's surely a trip I envy ... thanks for sharing!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Really cool to visit the vendors that contributed to making your car --- showing them how their work turned-out

Great reason for a Road Trip, too!

Good stuff

We Can Be Heroes

What a cool idea! Glad the car made it without a hiccup! Surprised CHP didn't get you going 90, they live for catching out of towners

RodKnock -

I had to comment on your statement about making it without a hiccup. As it turns out, my alternator gave up the ghost at some time during my trip. This resulted in overcharging my two Odyssey batteries, causing them to swell up and ultimately fail. My car could have died in the middle of the 405! All this was discovered with I got back home. I have a (one) new AntiGravity battery in it (3.5#) and a new Valeo alternator. The only drawback with the Valeo is that the shaft that sticks through the fan has a counterbore, and I can't put yellow inspector paint there. I'm currently experimenting with filling it with acrylic caulk, then putting my yellow mark there!