Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member (hello world) question about a motor

Smile New Member (hello world) question about a motor

I have been viewing this site for a while and read some of the threads and stories. I wanted to say thank you for the wealth of knowledge found on these strings and the information it has provided me through the years.
    I finally took the plunge and got a login so I to can post and hopefully gain even more information.

I apologize I am not a 911s owner I have a 1969 912 I am building up. (Is slow and steady but been fun)

My post today is to introduce myself and inquire about a recently purchased 1973 targa motor that I bought with the intent of installing it in the 912, but as I have been told by a few close friends, this motor trans pair is better sold and that I should put a less expensive 911 motor in my car because it’s not a 911 originally.

Any way the motor is to the best of my knowledge in running condition and I am thinking of taking it to a shop in Anaheim, CA to get a compression test/ leak down test/ and if all is good run it to prove ability.
    info:
    On engine-
    901.105.111.0R
    *6130915*
    911/51
    Fan shroud-
    901 106 101 5R
    Transaxle-
    915 301 101 0R (bell housing)
    915 301 102 0R (side of trans)
    915.301.301.0R (back of trans)
    Bosh MFI-
    1415 106 399 (22/72)

Engine is complete (pulled out of the car with everything) owner said the cars engine was swapped for a 993 motor because he wanted more power, the 2.4L motor was then shelved and stored for the past 3 years. I just picked it up knowing it was worth more than what I paid for it but not sure of its exact value. Please let me know if you can help me with a pricing range and any other info about this motor.

Thanks!!!!
    Instagram @912r69

Frankly with 912 values being what they are I'd keep it as a four banger.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I agree with Ed. Moreover, the engine is just a T engine, and a less expensive motor is not going to be much less expensive. When you go back to the early 2.0 engines they can be more expensive due to the aluminum engine cases. The transmission is a 915 which would need body modifications to fit; if I remember correctly. Your car handling would not improve with the extra weight out back. If you currently have a 912 motor, then you would be losing on originality as well. There are options to improve HP with the 912 motor that may be more rewarding.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I would also leave it with the 4 cylinder, also it's a better balanced car, along with better gas milage, and easier to service and less costly up keep, keep it original.

Keep it a four banger... if you want more power there's the more money way (Polo4) or the less expensive option: build a VW Type 3 or 4 motor. Google Jake Raby.

Believe it or not they can crank out upwards of 200 smooth and dependable horsepower on pump gas.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

@edmayo & @savagejayj Thank you for the feedback!!! @davep So it’s a 1973 911 T motor not an S, that’s good to know! I wasn’t sure if I was deciphering the engine number correctly. Thank you for that!
    My 912 is a resurrection and @Bullethead I have a 914 2.0 engine I was setting up to rebuild (add power) and slap in there.����
    This was an idea and when I saw this motor I just kept thinking I could have a 911! Lol,
    I guess I will put it up for sale. Any ideas what the running motor with trans is worth?

Is is not so trivial or cheap to swap a 911 engine into a 912 as some would assert (I have done it).
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Kami,
    I have a 2.2 litre Type 4 motor in my 66 912. It's a great combination, lighter and better balanced than a 6 conversion.
    As it's 200-ish pounds lighter than a 911, 140 hp really makes it scoot!
    I did no molestation of the car to do this install, but I did have to make up a mount for the rear of the motor.
    Go to 912BBS.org/forum and look for the Renegades section. Lots of info there!

I think the answer is simple , if you want a 911 engine in your car , buy a 911 .

Welcome!

Bullethead and adam912 are telling the truth. 4 cylinder engines can be a lot of fun. Check out L&N Engineering's other website: https://type4store.com. This is a partnership with Jake Raby who is the master of the 4 banger. FAT on the West Coast are good and there are others.
    Speaking of 200 hp. Bobby Smith's 2.8 FAT from his ex-giant killer auto-x 914 made 200hp and TON of torque.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111