Thread: Current Draw on my 911E HELP!!!

Current Draw on my 911E HELP!!!

First of all, my apologies for X-posting with Pelican. I found that I have a current draw of about 107mA. The car is a ‘69E, 73T motor, MFI. Recent history: previous owner added a modern stereo, I had some work done on the MFI system (new cold start solenoid), and I added A/C. I discovered the current draw as my batteries were dying a premature death.

The circuit in question is the white fuse in the middle of the block of 3 at the left rear corner. The fuse cover says “start-magnet-valve” and “start valve”. (picture attached)
    Despite pulling that white fuse, all systems work, specifically the start system from cold, the radio, all lights, cigarette lighter, fan …everything I could check. The only thing that didn’t work was the wipers, and they didn’t work even with fuse replaced, suggesting that its failure is a “red herring” and a separate problem.

Is there an unmanifested problem with the cold start area? Seems weird. Soliciting opinions please. thanx steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It used to be that only the clock drew power when the car was shut off, and then possibly only when the rewind was triggered. Perhaps something was moved to an unswitched circuit from what should be on a switched circuit; thus operating all the time instead of just when the car is running.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Seems like there is a problem with the cold start circuit , it should not work with the fuse removed , the fuse energizes a relay , does the relay always have 12 volts ?

thanx again for the info. will check the clock, tho' its circuit didn't show a current draw. thanx again, and Happy Thanxgiving. s

Take off the three fuse panel and look at the buss bars on the backside, then compare with your wiring schematic. Especially if you bought a new three fuse panel.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

thanx Ed, i'll do that. in the meantime, the only wire leaving that fuse is a blue wire with yellow dots...as in the schmatic, but the schematic also shows a red wire. In the schematic, both go to separate relays, so I pulled the three easily visible "round" relays, one at a time, but no change in the 100ma draw. Couldn't tell where that blue/yellow wire goes after leaving the fuse panel. argghhh. thanx again, Ed. steve

OK, I nailed it down...it's the cigarette package-lookin' relay, Bosch #0 336 611 001. I assume these are N/A but would take any sources for one, or if it can be rebuilt. I 'll take all the help I can find. This relay goes to the RPM transducer, whatever that is or does. Thanx for the help. steve

I can't imagine that the transducer should be hot with the ignition off. That doesn't seem right.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I will need to read more about this...but not tonight....way too much Super Tuscan. thanx again. s