Thread: Thoughts or experience with this replacement dashboard

Thoughts or experience with this replacement dashboard

Does anyone have experience with this dashpad? Appears nice in the photos (correct speaker grill) and is priced well when you add in the 20% off coupon. Looking for any feedback the group might have...

https://car-bone.pl/shop/dashboard-f...+hole+25%2C5cm
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

To my knowledge, there haven't been any new developments in the dashboard universe since our last detailed discussion. Many of us have been waiting for CarPoint to come out with the replacement to their dash from a couple years ago (which many of us referred to as the "Lakewell" dash as they sold a ton of them) which was probably the best reproduction ever made but, sadly, had durability issues.

If I had to guess, the dash listed by CarBone is probably the current CarPoint dash which is, in a word, terrible. The CarBone guys post here so maybe they'll chime in. I'd love to hear that the dash they're offering is a brand new option but I'd be surprised if that's the case.

Sadly, over the last year I've noticed that even the best restorers have been forced to use the latest dash from Porsche Classic which, IMHO (and other's), isn't very good but is probably the best of the current bad options.

Simple truth is we're in a holding pattern right now waiting for a better solution. I spoke to Eric L. last week (our resident reproduction parts guru) and he didn't have an update as of yet either.

Sorry I don't have better news.

^got it - thanks for the reply. My original plan was to have mine recovered. Maybe that is my best option.
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

how bad is your dash?

FWIW, the dash in my car was either replaced (I think) or recovered. Likely former. Have pictures of original dash from the P/O. it was pretty well trashed. The new one, it looks ok, but i'm sure its not 100% correct in grain, sheen, etc (i care 0% about those things). But, it has an issue too, its at most been in the car since 2014 and the 'seam/corner areas' for example, right behind the gauge hump, is not "tight" any longer, slight bubbling/lifting.

At this point, I don't care, will drive until it really bothers me...

Which makes me think, you're in OC, go give current dash to Juan (next to Auto kennel). He does very, very nice dash work, seen many dashes he has done, he is backed up, but you have time on your side I think! :-) Best, he's a super nice guy and very reasonable pricing.

When I sent this I was in quite the Black Friday/Cyber Monday spending binge haha. I figured that dash with an additional 20% off was a good deal and could sell my core. No sales tax and very reasonable shipping on top of it. I did purchase a set of 7R minilites from them and got a great deal - even if it takes a month to get here from them. The rest of my spending went to Sunset Porsche - no dash purchased as part of my shopping. I had already talked to Tony at Autobahn about recovering my dash and it is $750 which is fine but he did say they the way they recover them requires a seam that isn’t present on the original nor the new copies I have seen. It sounds like the seam you are describing on your dash. May not be a big deal but maybe I will talk to Juan to see if he uses that same approach of the seam. I definitely have time on my hands!
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

Any updates?
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pomares View Post
    Any updates?
    Nothing substantial from my end. Supposedly Porsche Classic fixed the incorrect speaker grille pattern on their dash but I have yet to see one. The fitment and incorrect vinyl details persist. No new aftermarket option as of yet that I am aware of.

Thanks for the update!
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I gave up on aftermarket options and found a reputable shop to recover my original dash. Happy I went that way!
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa