Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backdated 81SC with 72T front clip on BAT now....and it's titled as a 72

But a few sales down the road and maybe someone won't be so honest... perhaps that matters?

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Especially since the seller has been upfront about the history.
    Whilst Jim vouches for the car, there is a principle here and this seems to set a precedent that enables all sorts of dodgy dealings in the future...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    But a few sales down the road and maybe someone won't be so honest... perhaps that matters?
    Of course that matters. But none of us have control over the future.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    Whilst Jim vouches for the car, there is a principle here and this seems to set a precedent that enables all sorts of dodgy dealings in the future...
    I read that as Jim vouching for the quality of the car as it is now. Not for the status of the title or potential legal bits.

I don't know about setting a precedent with this car, these kind of things have happened under the radar for as long as there have been cars and VINs. This one just happens to be out there and in public.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not to say I think this is totally OK, but in this case at least we seem to have most of the info to decide whether we personally would be OK with owning this car.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

There are a couple of guys who I would trust my life with if it came to sectioning cars together. Since the work here can't be vouched for and nothing I've seen gives me any indication of the quality/scope of the work on the chassis, short of changing VIN tags, I'm dubious about the cut and paste. The lack of any photo documentation of what was done is off putting. The history will chase this car forever.

Consider that resale on back dates can be sketchy. The M491 car that sold last year for $157,000 ran out of gas on PCARMARKET at $135,000 this fall. Seller wanted $174,900.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Under tub shots show an SC front tub, so perhaps all that was 'backdated' was the hood closing panel/front bulkhead. Oh, and the area around the chassis stamping where the old portion was welded in.

Have to say, the faux oil filler is pretty lame IMO.

I would not want to own this car... but at the current bid price of $123K + $5K bidder's premium, it's a moot point.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post

Have to say, the faux oil filler is pretty lame IMO.

Did they not use a '72 oil tank, or is it plumbed wrong?

They apparently just added the external door and a dummy filler. The real filler is still in the engine compartment. I hadn't caught that originally, until Bill mentioned it here. I agree with him, pretty lame. Either do it all the way, or leave it alone.
    Last edited by Arne; 12-05-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Sold = $140k

Not-so-surprising a result, is it? --- any issues w/ 'numbers,' notwithstanding

Since the number of genuine/high-spec/(your superlative here) cars on offer is smaller than the number of willing Buyers --- not-to-mention any price-points . . .

. . . seems only natural/inevitable that less-than-steller-spec cars get dressed-up to suit those Buyers

Numbers no matchy-matchy? . . . how 'bout some re-imaginating?

Barn-find just a biiiiiiit too rusty? . . . re-panel away!

RS dreams on a T budget? . . . ditto

OP said it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by EuroWerkz1 View Post
    . . . better to have one 911 survive than none . . .

Looks like at least One Actual Buyer felt the same

Buyer bought a car to drive --- not a bunch of half-century-old nonsense to go OCD over . . .

. . . + paid for the privilege

Maybe not my taste, but? . . .

. . . hope the car gets used/enjoyed

…...

We Can Be Heroes

I am VERY partial to 72/3 911 particularly genuine model 73 Rennsport cars are my interest but sometimes wonder if the all manner of things that are done as the default hot rod to ape the Rennsport / Sports Purpose "touches" of the era that has been so fashionable of late are becoming rather passé and like some other ... it fell out of fashion things ...will look a bit...yikes/ hmmm... in a couple of decades time. Rather like when it is said here "what were they thinking" when some travesty much messed with longhood that was carved about to make it fashionable with natty late 70s or 80s must have touches emerges these days....

As we ponder the question enjoy the footage of this 81SC being driven very capably; it looks marvelous to my eyes:
    https://youtu.be/4aaWXK7UaPk

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-05-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    . . . sometimes wonder if the all manner of things that are done as the default hot rod to ape the Rennsport / Sports Purpose touches of the era that is so fashionable of late are becoming rather passé and like some falls out of fashion things will look a bit...yikes/ hmmm... in a couple of decades time . . .
    I suspect the only difference between Back Then and now? . . .

. . . are the price-points. That --- and the raw material . . . + maybe the level of craftsmanship + attention to detail, even scholarship (?)

. . . no one thought twice 'bout 'up-grading' any car --- T, E, or S . . . to their personal taste --- back when they were 'just cars'

Was + IS still going on . . . another threade --- started 14 years, ago . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...od-driver-quot

And how many really wonderful cars 've been built-up here? --- starting-out w/ less-than-promising cars? . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=kremer

. . . or little-more-than shells? . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=kremer

One person's travesty is another's treasure

We Can Be Heroes

What's in Your Garage?

I suspect that most of the cars on Our Site = dressed-up/personalized in some fashion . . . vs OG

Most of the recent 'fix my car' threads are all about non-stock cars

And just look at some of the stuff on display at the latest Luft . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...tgekuhlt-6-WOW!

I mean, part of me is silently horrified by what I'm seeing (as-in WTF?) . . .

. . . but then I look at my half-century-old monster and ask myself . . .

. . . how much longer will I be driving this car? --- or anything? . . .

. . . + where will I be in 50 years? . . .

. . . + what am I doing here? . . .

I mean . . . I'm an idiot

We Can Be Heroes