Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PD 7750 Watch. What can you tell me?

IWC made quite a few Porsche Design watches as well, including the Ocean 2000, watch for the german army divers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Hey Jim, these were made by Orfina (pretty sure they did all the Porsche Design watches) using the venerable Valjoux 7750 automatic movement.

Get it serviced and wear it... not especially valuable in the condition yours is, but pretty much bulletproof as analog watches go.
    Or if you want it pretty, spring to have it refinished. Case, bracelet and crystal plus service shouldn't cost that much.

Wear it with pride Jim ! I especially like the patinated PVD finish on it.

The really interesting thing is, that the tachymétre ring is in "miles", so it is obviously an edition for these markets.
    Have not seen it before.
    get cleaned and adjusted, "small service" . . .
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

You have one of the earlier configurations of the PD Orfina chrono. You can see the differences to the 5100 models. The chrono dial at 12, the i mile marker on the tach ring, the hands, and lack of secondary sweep hand. For an early model its in pretty good condition. I believe the 7750 is smaller than the 5100 maybe 42mm vs 44mm.

I used to wear a vintage Rlx Sub but the PD chrono is (surprisingly) much more comfortable, and to me less ostentatious. I wear mine every day, it keeps better time than all my other automatic watches. I had it serviced and re anodized at Superior in March 2018 which cost around a $G

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    The really interesting thing is, that the tachymétre ring is in "miles", so it is obviously an edition for these markets.
    Have not seen it before.
    get cleaned and adjusted, "small service" . . .
    Mine, in miles and loads of patina, I would argue unrestored since 1976 (perfect to me)- works perfectly and I wear nearly every day.

IMG_3088.jpg
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huge View Post
    The 5100
    Interesting as the hour pointer on yours is point shaped and mine is square shaped.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

on my two ORFINA branded is the KM tachometer ting,
    but also on the PD branded ->
    below the KM tachymetre, straight end hands
    Attached Images Attached Images
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

Orfina Porsche Design was available with two movements -

first with the Lemania 5100 (Ref. 7176s) and later with the Valjoux / ETA 7750.

The Lemania 5100 has a subdial with a 24-hour display are generally somewhat more expensive - both in terms of purchasing and revising the movement. Also the large "pointed" hand on the 5100 is different to the "square" end of the 7750

Every free watchmaker should be able to repair the Valjoux / ETA 7750 almost at a fair price.

Depending on the variant and year of production, these watches have different logos on the dial, the case back, the clasp and the crown. A distinction is made here between the Orfina lettering on the dial in combination with the "Orfina flame" on the crown, bottom and clasp - and the uniformly used "PD logo", which stands for "Porsche Design"

But there are also watches in which the dial logo and case back do not match. According to the successor company Schifferle & Schifferle GmbH, this is also correct. There had been watches that had an Orfina dial and a PD bottom. Or vice versa.

In addition to the "civil" watches, there are also military versions - these like to be marked with the round and red "3H" markings on the dial. It stands for the used and weakly radioactive illuminant tritium. As far as I know, this luminous material was a little more radiant in military watches than in the civilian versions - the labeling should indicate this
    Last edited by haul; 12-15-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    Orfina Porsche Design was available with two movements -

first with the Lemania 5100 (Ref. 7176s) and later with the Valjoux / ETA 7750.
    Xavier has the Lemania 5100, the others are the Valjoux.

The Lemania 5100 has a subdial with a 24-hour display are generally somewhat more expensive - both in terms of purchasing and revising the movement. Also the large "pointed" hand on the 5100 is different to the "square" end of the 7750

Every free watchmaker should be able to repair the Valjoux / ETA 7750 almost at a fair price.

Depending on the variant and year of production, these watches have different logos on the dial, the case back, the clasp and the crown. A distinction is made here between the Orfina lettering on the dial in combination with the "Orfina flame" on the crown, bottom and clasp - and the uniformly used "PD logo", which stands for "Porsche Design"

But there are also watches in which the dial logo and case back do not match. According to the successor company Schifferle & Schifferle GmbH, this is also correct. There had been watches that had an Orfina dial and a PD bottom. Or vice versa.

In addition to the "civil" watches, there are also military versions - these like to be marked with the round and red "3H" markings on the dial. It stands for the used and weakly radioactive illuminant tritium. As far as I know, this luminous material was a little more radiant in military watches than in the civilian versions - the labeling should indicate this
    Xavier and the OP have 7750. That is why they have the same sub dial configuration and KM Ring, The 5100 i posted has different hands and an additional minute recorder hand that has semi circular wings at the pointed end.
    Hands.jpg

Prices have cooled, even for the military watches. But in terms of time keeping reliability, quality, and timeless German styling they are such great value versus other more expensive watches I've purchased. I am searching for the titanium 3H one Lew (Sonnett) on here has.