I started out as a VW guy, and I ran into some pretty interesting topic hunts when it came to split windows, ovals, and early type 3s. Splits, Ovals, and Type 3s were the first of models for VW, so many things changed in the early stages of the production cycle. It was a fun and valuable learning experience. The same thing can be said for the 911/912 during its early stages of development as well.

Two of the subjects that stood out for me were hardware and electrics: Who supplied hardware for these cars, what were the correct markings, and when did the hardware change? Anything from fender bolts, to light screws, to you name it. A lot of what is produced today is range based i.e. 64-68, vs. 64, 65, 66-67, and 68. When these cars were first coming out, development was continuously happening, so things like hardware, and electrics were constantly changing.

Another great subject which I ran into when building my 68, was crossover of parts. Same part, from same supplier, different cars. Bosch, SWF, Hella, etc. supplied most all German cars during that era. I had to find a two block ground terminal for my electrical panel and they were nowhere to be found from the usual sources. I finally found one (mind you at an amazingly affordable $30 too!) through a vintage Mercedes Benz supplier.

I think there's and endless opportunity for topic hunting John!