Thread: Black areas on 911 BY65 MY66 (transition)

Black areas on 911 BY65 MY66 (transition)

Our restorationproject of 911 BY65 MY66 (#303381) has been down for almost a year.
    This because the restoration of our house needed to be done first.

Now we are restarting the restoration again of our 911.
    The cars is just painted in slate grey but still needs some black on the right areas.
    I have done a lot of research in the past, seen a lot or cars (restorated or looks like original), read a lot of the forum where these question already had been asked for several times.
    But there is still some confusing about which areas needs to be black for my car.
    And I want to do it right.
    To tell a little bit more about my car which maybe could help for you guys:

- BY 65 MY66
    - One of the first cars with 2 screw horn grills
    - Solex carbs
    - latchpanel not symmetric with VIN plate on latchpanel

The areas where I am doubting about and also why:

- Behind the engine grill:
    Most of the people are saying without a doubt BLACK.
    But I am seeing both colors and black.
    I know that with a restoration this is a area that is easily been forgotten.
    But could it be that with light colors on the car this area was black and with dark colors on car this color was color of the car?
    Or could it be that this changed with changing of latchpanel and 2 screw horn grills?

- Behind the horn grill this must be BLACK.
    But were is the transition between the black and the color?
    Is the small frame around the horn grill area, where you have to place for example the 4 screw in also black or color?

- The ventilation grill and the end of the luggage hood.
    Most of the people are saying without a doubt BLACK (black mesh and black frame).
    But I am seeing both things: black / metal color / combination.
    And this with people who are doing a lot of research like you guys.
    Could it be that this changed with changing of latchpanel and 2 screw horn grills?
    That this have to do with BY65 MY65 / BY65 MY66?

- The clip inside the fuel compartment to keep it closed does this is black or color?

- The area behind the Hella 128's to attach these are body color I see on the most cars so think that this is correct.

Thanks in advance for helping me.

Is there someone would could help me?
    Would be nice to do things correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Michael,

These are answers based on my unrestored April, ‘65 car...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Winters View Post
    The areas where I am doubting about and also why:

- Behind the engine grill:
    Most of the people are saying without a doubt BLACK.
    But I am seeing both colors and black.
    I know that with a restoration this is a area that is easily been forgotten.
    But could it be that with light colors on the car this area was black and with dark colors on car this color was color of the car?
    Or could it be that this changed with changing of latchpanel and 2 screw horn grills?

**Black! Car is light ivory.

- Behind the horn grill this must be BLACK.
    But were is the transition between the black and the color?
    Is the small frame around the horn grill area, where you have to place for example the 4 screw in also black or color?

**Black including frame, inside and bottom.

- The ventilation grill and the end of the luggage hood.
    Most of the people are saying without a doubt BLACK (black mesh and black frame).
    But I am seeing both things: black / metal color / combination.
    And this with people who are doing a lot of research like you guys.
    Could it be that this changed with changing of latchpanel and 2 screw horn grills?
    That this have to do with BY65 MY65 / BY65 MY66?

**I believe the PO painted this on mine so I can’t be positive but I believe it was originally black.

- The clip inside the fuel compartment to keep it closed does this is black or color?

**Color!

- The area behind the Hella 128's to attach these are body color I see on the most cars so think that this is correct.

**Color!

I can confirm what 356 rider posted for a December '65 car