Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette question - broken during shipping

Etiquette question - broken during shipping

A question for veterans of the board. I ordered a pair H1 lenses from a European memeber of the Registry - shipped to US for 350 euro total. One lens was broken during shipping. Seller states that items were wrapped correctly and safely. Upon opening the box, lenses appeared wrapped together in newspaper, not wrapped correctly, in fact, hardly wrapped at all. Seller claims that US Customs must have opened the box and repacked it poorly. There was no Customs form in the box. I've asked seller to refund me 1/2 the sale price (generous in my view given that one lens is near useless) but Seller states it's up to me to try to get the DHL insurance (he isured it for 75 euro) back from DHL. Is that my responsibility? Am I out of line asking for refund? In over 10 years of doing business on this board, I have never had an issue that couldn't be resolved amicably. Trying to do the right thing here. Thanks.

Nos , repro , dealer, privat

It's the responsibility of the seller. Period. Full stop. If the seller won't do the right thing, call Paypal (hopefully you paid via Paypal?).

Complex question.
    1. It's the seller's responsibility to get it to you, and if it doesn't get to you that's on him.
    2. It's the seller's responsibility to pack it correctly, if an item arrives damaged it's on him to give you a full refund, if you want to send the item back. Where this gets tricky is when someone wants a partial refund but wants to keep the item. As a seller I'm always reluctant to do that for a number of reasons, I'm fine refunding in full if I get the item back, which is straight-forward, but things get very subjective when it comes to a partial return.
    3. Concerning insurance. If you wanted it insured fully you should have stated this, and shipping would have cost more. I find most people don't want to pay more for shipping, they complain enough as it is, even when as a seller you charge actual shipping. So unless you asked for the item to be insured at full amount, the seller isn't responsible for the extra.

Bottom line, if you send the item back the seller should give you a full refund, that's fair, you didn't get the item you wanted and therefore as a customer should have the chance to return it.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    If you wanted it insured fully you should have stated this, and shipping would have cost more. I find most people don't want to pay more for shipping, they complain enough as it is, even when as a seller you charge actual shipping. So unless you asked for the item to be insured at full amount, the seller isn't responsible for the extra.
    No. If the seller wanted it insured, he should have paid for the insurance with the absolute knowledge that, if the item is damaged in transit, he will be providing a full refund. When a seller asks me "Do you want insurance?" I respond "I don't care. But it's your responsibility to get the item to me undamaged. Do YOU want insurance?".

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    No. If the seller wanted it insured, he should have paid for the insurance with the absolute knowledge that, if the item is damaged in transit, he will be providing a full refund. When a seller asks me "Do you want insurance?" I respond "I don't care. But it's your responsibility to get the item to me undamaged. Do YOU want insurance?".
    The problem many sellers have is the customers complain to no end about shipping costs so sellers will keep the costs as low as possible by not offering full insurance. We always give full refunds so it's a moot point. People don't want to hear it when it costs money to do things. We had to refund a guy in full last week on a set of FUCHS when EBAY charged the guy sales tax. It was beyond our control, it's automatic now to 19 states, but he felt like we were not being fair and asked for a refund, which we gave him.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

I've bought both new and used vintage parts from Italy. Even with the new OEM parts, I've opened the box only to find the items loose, out of the packaging, foam pieces that held them in place missing etc. I've gone though the motions of filing the complaint with my Cc and even PayPal.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was mis-handled when it went through customs.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoSD View Post
    I've bought both new and used vintage parts from Italy. Even with the new OEM parts, I've opened the box only to find the items loose, out of the packaging, foam pieces that held them in place missing etc. I've gone though the motions of filing the complaint with my Cc and even PayPal.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was mis-handled when it went through customs.
    Cost of doing business for the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Really? If I'm selling something (which I rarely do) I feel it's my responsibility to ship it timely, pack it correctly, and most important represent the item accurately. After that, once it's paid for and shipped it's really the buyers part and it's not my fault if the shipper damages it. I'm not Amazon or Walmart, the buyer is responsible for insuring their valuable items and paying extra for said insurance.

Same deal if you buy a car and have it shipped, does the seller deal with it when a car gets damaged in shipment.. nope!

Now if they're not happy with the item, then sure full refund, just send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Meyer View Post
    I don't quite follow this. If I'm selling something (which I rarely do) I feel it's my responsibility to ship it timely, pack it correctly, and most important represent the item accurately. After that, once it's paid for and shipped it's really the buyers part and it's not my fault if the shipper damages it. I'm not Amazon or Walmart, the buyer is responsible for insuring their valuable items and paying extra for said insurance.
    Actually, you are Amazon or Walmart. That decision has already been made for you by Paypal, Visa, MasterCard, and Amex. All four will immediately and happily refund a buyer's payment if an item arrives damaged. Accepting any payment from any payment provider makes you subject to their terms and conditions - like it or not. Insurance is there to protect the seller. They buyer is already protected.